My research and clinical interests converge on the area of child and family wellbeing. Through my research I aim to contribute to our understanding of how systems (e.g. family and school) contribute to child wellbeing and mental health. From a positive psychology perspective, I am interested in the implementation and effectiveness of mindfulness-based approaches in supporting the systems around the child - including mindful parenting, and mindfulness in schools.
Current projects include mindful parenting for childhood anxiety, childhood psoriasis, and children on the autism spectrum; and mindfulness to improve self-regulation in primary school students.
- Emerson LM., Biesters J., de Bruin E. and Bögels S. (2021) The Distinguishing Characteristics of Parents Seeking a Mindful Parenting Intervention in Child Mental Health Care. Journal of Child and Family Studies http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10826-020-01890-3.
- Stevenson JC., Millings A., Emerson LM., Sirois F. and Rowe AC. (2021) Adult attachment and Mindfulness: Examining directionality, causality, and theoretical implications. Journal of Research in Personality 90 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2020.104043.
- Adams D. and Emerson LM. (2020) Family accommodation of anxiety in a community sample of children on the autism spectrum. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 70 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2020.102192.
- Adams D. and Emerson LM. (2020) The Impact of Anxiety in Children on the Autism Spectrum. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04673-3.
- Emerson LM., de Diaz NN., Sherwood A., Waters A. and Farrell L. (2020) Mindfulness interventions in schools: Integrity and feasibility of implementation. International Journal of Behavioral Development 44(1): 62-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0165025419866906.