Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests include investigating the effectiveness of interventions for children with autism spectrum disorder. This includes research into preference-enhanced communication systems, treatments for sleep disturbance in children with autism, toilet training, and Functional Behavioural Assessment.
I am the Principal Investigator for The Good Nights Programme at the University of Canterbury. This programme of research focuses on investigating the effectiveness of functional behavioural assessment (FBA) informed interventions for sleep problems in children and adolescents with developmental disorders and the secondary benefits of improving sleep on parent and child wellbeing. In 2017, I was awarded a Health Research Council Early Career Researcher Grant ($160,000) and in 2018, I was awarded an Marsden Fast-Start Researcj Grant ($300,000) to support this programme of research.
- Carnett A., McLay L., Hansen S., France K. and Blampied N. (2021) Sleep Problems in Children and Adolescents with Autism: Type, Severity and Impact. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10882-020-09783-5.
- Hunter JE., McLay LK., France KG. and Blampied NM. (2021) Sleep and stereotypy in children with autism: effectiveness of function-based behavioral treatment.. Sleep Med 80: 301-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2021.01.062.
- McLay L., France K., Blampied N., van Deurs J., Hunter J., Knight J., Hastie B., Carnett A., Woodford E. and Gibbs R. (2021) Function-Based Behavioral Interventions for Sleep Problems in Children and Adolescents with Autism: Summary of 41 Clinical Cases. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 51(2): 418-432. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04548-7.
- McLay LK., Schluter PJ., Eggleston MJF., Woodford EC. and Bowden N. (2021) Melatonin dispensing among New Zealand children aged 0–18 years with autism: a nationwide cross-sectional study. Sleep Medicine 80: 184-192. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2021.01.028.
- Woodford EC., McLay L., France KG., Blampied NM., Gibbs R., Swan CE. and Eggleston M. (2021) Endogenous melatonin and sleep in individuals with Rare Genetic Neurodevelopmental Disorders (RGND): A systematic review. Sleep Medicine Reviews 57 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2021.101433.