Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests include investigating the effectiveness of interventions for children with autism spectrum disorder. This includes research into preference-enhanced communication systems, treatments for sleep disturbance in children with autism, toilet training, and Functional Behavioural Assessment.
I am the Principal Investigator for The Good Nights Programme at the University of Canterbury. This programme of research focuses on investigating the effectiveness of functional behavioural assessment (FBA) informed interventions for sleep problems in children and adolescents with developmental disorders and the secondary benefits of improving sleep on parent and child wellbeing. In 2017, I was awarded a Health Research Council Early Career Researcher Grant ($160,000) and in 2018, I was awarded an Marsden Fast-Start Researcj Grant ($300,000) to support this programme of research.
- Carnett A., Hansen S., McLay L., Neely L. and Lang R. (2020) Quantitative-Analysis of Behavioral Interventions to Treat Sleep Problems in Children with Autism. Developmental Neurorehabilitation 23(5): 271-284. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17518423.2019.1646340.
- France K. and McLay L-L. (2020) The Use of Complementary Medicines or Alternative Treatments for Sleep Problems. In Johnson K; Richdale A (Ed.), Sleep Difficulties and Disorders in Autism Spectrum DisorderInformation Age Publishing.
- Hunter JE., McLay LK., France KG. and Blampied NM. (2020) Systematic review of the collateral effects of behavioral sleep interventions in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 79 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2020.101677.
- Lang R., Harmon T., McLay L-L., Phinney A., Ledbetter-Cho K., Lubarsky A., Erhard P., Strong K., Detar W. and Rispoli M. (2020) Characteristics and Assessment of Pica in Individuals with Intellectual Disability. In Matson J (Ed.), Handbook of Dual Diagnosis: 429-437.Springer Publishing Inc. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-46835-4_26.
- McLay L., France K., Blampied N., van Deurs J., Hunter J., Knight J., Hastie B., Carnett A., Woodford E. and Gibbs R. (2020) Function-Based Behavioral Interventions for Sleep Problems in Children and Adolescents with Autism: Summary of 41 Clinical Cases. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10803-020-04548-7.