Qualifications & Memberships
Kathryn MacCallum is an Associate Professor of Digital Education Futures within the School of Educational Studies and Leadership at the University of Canterbury (UC), NZ. Prior to this, Kathryn was an Associate Professor of Computing at the Eastern Institute of Technology, Napier, New Zealand. Kathryn has over the years established a strong research background focusing on the integration of digital tools into the curriculum both in pre K12, K12 and tertiary contexts. She has led and been involved in a number of research projects exploring the role of technology (and more recently AR and VR) to support learners. She has been involved in a number of research projects, both in New Zealand and Internationally, developing innovative approaches to the integration of technology within all sectors of education. Kathryn has written a number of articles on this topic as well as edited two books with another one on the way around the use of emerging practices in education. Kathryn also serves as Editor in Chief for the International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning (IJMBL), the Journal of Information Technology Education: Research (JITE: Research) and the Journal of Information Technology Education: Innovations in Practice (JITE:IIP).
As Director of the Digital Education Futures Lab at UC and Programme Coordinator of the postgraduate education programme within her School she is focused on developing a community of researchers engaged in the exploration of digital technologies within the educational context across all contexts of education, including; formal and informal, schooling, pre and post-schooling. Fostering effective practice, approaches and research around digital technologies that shape the future of education.
- Brown C. and MacCallum K. (2021) Getting your kids off screen and on board. [Canterbury News].
- Parsons D. and Maccallum K. (2021) Current perspectives on augmented reality in medical education: Applications, affordances and limitations. Advances in Medical Education and Practice 12: 77-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/AMEP.S249891.
- Parsons D., MacCallum K. and Sparks H. (2021) Integrating Scrum With Other Design Approaches to Support Student Innovation Projects. Advances in Systems Analysis, Software Engineering, and High Performance Computing: 190-208.IGI Global. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-7998-4885-1.ch012.
- Parsons D. and MacCallum K. (2020) A learning theory rubric for evaluating mobile learning activities. Mobile Devices in Education: Breakthroughs in Research and Practice: 983-998.IGI Global.
- Parsons D. and MacCallum K. (2020) Mobile Learning in Teacher Education. In Peters MA (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Teacher Education: 1-5. Singapore: Springer Singapore. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-1179-6_113-1.