My research interests focus on a number of areas in education that will help improve learning outcomes and well-being for all learners.
Qualifications & Memberships
Improving outcomes for all learners is my passion and is always central to my research and postgraduate supervisions.
I am involved in research with Professor John Everatt exploring innovative learning environments in schooling. I am looking for postgraduate students interested in this area, and teaching and learning in the Covid 19 world.
I am part of a research project funded by Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga and led by Professor Angus Macfarlane on Practices of sustenance for Māori rangitahi.
I supervise a number of NZ and international postgraduate students in literacy, languages and supporting Māori and Pasifika learners.
I led a multisite case study qualitative research project in a wide range of primary and intermediate schools. The investigation explored the views of principals, teachers, parents and students on supporting reading, mathematics and how elearning can be used to motivate learning. I undertook research on experiences in primary schooling during and after the Christchurch earthquakes.
I was the principal co-investigator with Professor Niki Davis in a research project funded by the MOE to investigate ‘E-learning, mixed mode and distance learning for adult literacy, language and numeracy’. This research led to international work in the area of adult literacy for speakers of English as a second language and exploring how e-learning can support English literacy acquisition.
My earlier research focused on Pasifika students’ literacy achievement where I took a lead role as part of a research team, working with the guidance of matai. I have examined a number of theses on supporting Pasifika students in learning.
- Fletcher J. and Everatt J. (2021) Innovative learning environments in New Zealand: Student teachers’ perceptions. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies Special Edition on Learning Environments: 1-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-021-00195-3.
- Fletcher J., Astall C. and Everatt J. (2021) Initial teacher education students’ perceptions during practicum in primary schools. International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching 10(3) http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJMCE-10-2020-0069.
- Jones K-L., Fickel L., King J., Torepe T., Fletcher J. and Macfarlane S. (2021) Teachers and stakeholders’ perceptions about Māori partial immersion environments contribution to Kaupapa Māori (Māori medium) education. Set: Research information for teachers (1): 3-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.18296/set.1.2021.
- Fletcher J., Everatt J., Mackey J. and Fickel LH. (2020) Digital Technologies and Innovative Learning Environments in Schooling: A New Zealand Experience. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies 2020(55): 91-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-020-00156-2.
- Neha T., Macfarlane A., Macfarlane S., Clarke TH., Derby M., Torepe T., Duckworth F., Gibson M. and Fletcher J. (2020) Sustainable prosperity and enterprises for Māori communities in Aotearoa New Zealand: A review of the literature. Journal of Enterprising Communities: People and Places in the Global Economy http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JEC-07-2020-0133.