Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests are in mathematics education and initial/pre-service teacher education. In maths education I explore classroom experiences of students, particularly in the years 7-10 (11 to 14 year olds). My theoretical perspective is that classroom activity is distributed over three domains: classroom social norms, mathematical tools including representations, and social interaction. Recently I have co-researched with early childhood and Year 1 teachers in a Ministry of Education project exploring connecting mathematical practices across early childhood and the first years of primary school. I also write in the area of maths curriculum, reconceptualising content in terms of mathematical practices. A recent focus has been on curriculum and progression of learning in the early years, and at years 7-10.
In initial teacher education, I am a co-researcher in a long term project investigating the planning practices of pre-service teachers, during course work and during practicum. A particular focus is using approximations and decompositions of teaching practices in mathematics education. I also work with teachers in early years, primary and secondary classrooms up to Year 10.
- Bailey J. and McChesney J. (2020) Purposeful problem solving practices in Te Kākano. Early Childhood Folio 24(2).
- Downton A., MacDonald A., Cheeseman J., Russo J. and McChesney J. (2020) Mathematics learning and education from birth to eight years. In Way J; Attard C; Anderson J; Bobis J; McMaster H; Cartwright K (Ed.), Research in Mathematics Education in Australasia 2016-2019: 209-244. Singapore: Springer. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4269-5.
- Begg A., McChesney J. and Jhagroo J. (2019) Aotearoa/New Zealand: Mathematics education in Aotearoa/New Zealand. In Mack J; Vogeli B (Ed.), Mathematics and its teaching in the Asia-Pacific region: 35-68. Singapore: World Scientific. http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/9789813272132_0002.
- Wilson S. and McChesney J. (2018) From course work to practicum: Learning to plan for teaching mathematics. Mathematics Teacher Education and Development 20(2): 96-113.
- McChesney J. (2017) Mathematics in early childhood: Nourishing and nurturing Te Kākano. Early Childhood Folio 21(2): 3-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.18296/ecf.0038.