Qualifications & Memberships
My research interests include curriculum studies and curriculum issues, with special interest in social sciences education, gender relations and ICT, knowledge and learning, learner experiences, and teacher learning and identity. A major, recently completed research project in which I was involved as a co-investigator was the Teaching and Research Learning Initiative (TLRI) research project titled "Shifting the conceptualisation of knowledge and learning in the integration of the new New Zealand Curriculum in initial and continuing teacher education."
- Abbiss J. (2020) Curriculum in Secondary Education (New Zealand). Education and Childhood Studies http://dx.doi.org/10.5040/9781350993716.010.
- Abbiss J. (2020) Curriculum matters in an extraordinary year. Curriculum Matters 16: 1-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.18296/cm.0044.
- Abbiss J. (2019) Editorial: Policy shifts and curriculum effects. Curriculum Matters 15: 1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.18296/cm.0033.
- Abbiss J. and Vanassche E. (2019) Practice-focused research in initial teacher education. Oxford Research Encyclopedia: Education : 25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190264093.013.578.
- Fickel L. and Abbiss J. (2019) Supporting secondary pre-service teacher identity development as culturally responsive and sustaining teachers. FIRE: Forum for International Research in Education 5(2): 138-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.32865/fire201952152.