Research interests are in the areas of health and physical education.
- Fyall G., Cowan J. and Buchanan G. (2020) A Profession Within a Profession: Mentoring Ecology of Three New Zealand Primary Schools. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies 55(1): 5-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-020-00160-6.
- Dyson B., Cowan J., Gordon B., Powell D. and Shulruf B. (2017) Physical education in Aotearoa New Zealand primary schools. European Physical Education Review Online First: 20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1356336X17698083.
- Astall C. and Cowan J. (2016) Experiences of Using Wiki as a Participatory Learning Tool in Teacher Education. American Journal of Educational Research 4(6): 459-471. http://dx.doi.org/10.12691/education-4-6-4.
- Cowan J. and Culpan I. (2016) Influences on self-worth: Students' and teachers' perspectives. Curriculum Matters 12: 61-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.18296/cm.0014.
- Cowan J. and Culpan I. (2016) Influencing self worth: teachers' and students' perspectives. Curriculum Matters (in review).