My areas of interest lie in the combination of environment, people and education. I use practitioner research methods to improve teaching and learning
Qualifications & Memberships
My key focus is the intersection between humans and the environment, in terms of learning and quality experiences, but also in promoting environmental sustainability. My research covers the areas of outdoor and environmental education practices, adventure education, initial teacher education and most recently freedom camping and sustainable tourism.
- North CJ. (2020) Interrogating Authenticity in Outdoor Education Teacher Education Applications in Practice. Singapore: Springer Nature.
- Hill A., North C., Cosgriff M., Irwin D., Boyes M. and Watson S. (2020) Education Outside the Classroom in Aotearoa New Zealand – A Comprehensive National Study. In Education Outside the Classroom in Aotearoa New Zealand – A Comprehensive National Study, Ara Institute of Canterbury Ltd.. Commissioned by Education Outdoors New Zealand.
- Berning H., North C. and Stevens S. (2020) Environmental and sustainability education in teacher education: Canadian perspectives. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning : 1-3. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14729679.2020.1819834.
- Fieger P., Prayag G., Hall CM. and North C. (2020) The tourism value of international freedom campers to New Zealand. Tourism Recreation Research 45(2): 265-270. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02508281.2019.1660042.
- Quay J., Gray T., Thomas G., Allen-Craig S., Asfeldt M., Andkjaer S., Beames S., Cosgriff M., Dyment J. and Higgins P. (2020) Correction to: What future/s for outdoor and environmental education in a world that has contended with COVID-19? (Journal of Outdoor and Environmental Education, (2020), 23, 2, (93-117), 10.1007/s42322-020-00059-2). Journal of Outdoor and Environmental Education 23(2): 119-120. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s42322-020-00062-7.