Dr. McNeill is an international expert on literacy development in children with childhood apraxia of speech. Her prospective study of the validity and nature of childhood apraxia of speech has been supported by a Fast-Start Marsden grant from the Royal Society of New Zealand. Her research also focuses on developing and evaluating methods to better prepare teachers to support children’s early literacy development. Dr. McNeill is on the management team of the New Zealand Institute of Language, Brain and Behaviour and leads its language acquisition research theme.
Active research includes:
1. Childhood apraxia of speech;
2. Phonological awareness intervention for children with speech and language difficulty;
2. Classroom spelling instruction practices;
3. The effectiveness of primary teacher education graduates in facilitating literacy learning in at risk populations;
4. Predictors of reading success
- Gillon G., McNeill B., Denston A., Scott A. and Macfarlane A. (2020) Evidence-Based Class Literacy Instruction for Children With Speech and Language Difficulties. Topics in Language Disorders 40(4): 357-374. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/tld.0000000000000233.
- Kim HM., McNeill B., Everatt J., Taleni LT., Tautolo ES., Gillon G. and Schluter PJ. (2020) Perceptions of Pacific children's academic performance at age 6 years: A multiinformant agreement study. PLoS ONE 15(10 October) http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0240901.
- Schluter PJ., Audas R., Kokaua J., McNeill B., Taylor B., Milne B. and Gillon G. (2020) The Efficacy of Preschool Developmental Indicators as a Screen for Early Primary School-Based Literacy Interventions. Child Development 91(1): e59-e76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/cdev.13145.
- Scott A., McNeill B. and van Bysterveldt A. (2020) Teenage mothers’ language use during shared reading: an examination of quantity and quality. Child Language Teaching and Therapy http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0265659020903769.
- Gillon G., McNeill BC., Scott A., Denston A., Wilson L., Carson K. and Macfarlane A. (2019) A better start to literacy learning: findings from a teacher-implemented intervention in children’s first year at school. Reading and Writing http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11145-018-9933-7.