Go on ... Take the courageous leap to become a school principal!
Sean Bailey - Highly skilled educator and ex-principal, is teaming up with the University of Canterbury in Term 3 and 4 to run a series of four workshops for middle leaders considering principalship.
Sean took on his first principal role back in 2011 at Ladbrooks School I Ngā Puna Tapuwai, a 6 teacher school on the outskirts of Christchurch. In 2011, an opportunity arose to apply for a Foundation Principals role at Te Uru Tarata I Lemonwood Grove in Rolleston. He has spent the last 4 years creating a culture of collaboration and setting the school up for continued success going forward.
What is Leadership?
"Leadership is second only to classroom instruction among all school-related factors that contribute to what students learn at school." Leithwood et al., 2004.
Being a school principal is one of the most rewarding roles a person can take in their career, however, given the current challenges and complexities that exist in education, many amazing middle leaders are not choosing this role.
One of the major factors that has the ability to change this thinking is proper planning and preparation. The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) in a recent report, identified 5 elements that need to be put into place around preparing middle leaders for principalship.
- A thorough appreciation of leadership demographics and trends.
- A clear and shared understanding of the principal role, underpinned by professional standards.
- A focus on the attractiveness of the principal role so that teachers are eager to make the move into leadership.
- Responsibility for identifying and preparing future leaders shared between employers, system leaders and the profession.
- Structured professional development opportunities for aspiring principals that focus on leadership abilities.
What to expect on this course
These workshops will give leaders considering principalship the information and tools needed to allow them to take this incredible leap in their careers. They will cover topics such as:
- Roles that are 'best fit' (research, location, networking, knowing about the school)
- Preparing your application (Resume, interview preparation)
- The role of a beginning principal
- Mentoring and coaching
- Relationship building and Community Engagement
- Instructional Leadership
- Strategic Planning and Charter Development
- Appraisal/ Teaching as Inquiry
- The role of a Board of Trustees
Locations and dates
|Thursday 27 August 2020||Christchurch||Ōtākaro 109, UC Dovedale Campus||9:00am to 12:30pm|
|Thursday 17 September 2020||Christchurch||Ōtākaro 109, UC Dovedale Campus||9:00am to 12:30pm|
|Thursday 15 October 2020||Christchurch||Ōtākaro 109, UC Dovedale Campus||9:00am to 12:30pm|
|Thursday 29 October 2020||Christchurch||Ōtākaro 109, UC Dovedale Campus||9:00am to 12:30pm|
Morning tea will be provided.
$500.00 excluding GST
Online enrolment form