Students are welcome to join and follow an online technology forum.
You can learn about learning support tools that can help in improving your grades and maximising your academic performance.
Please email if you would like to join.
Disability Resource Service Study Areas
The Blue Room
The Blue Room (037A) is located in the basement of the Erskine building. There is a computer loaded with JAWS screen reader, MAGic text enlarger, OpenBook, Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition and Read & Write TextHelp software.
The Green Room
The Green Room (034A) is located in the basement of the Erskine building. There is a computer loaded with JAWS screen reader, MAGic text enlarger, OpenBook, Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition, Read & Write TextHelp and ZoomText software. A Mac computer is also available.
The Alcove is located on Level 2 of the Puaka-James Hight building adjacent to DRS and students with disabilities have priority use at all times. There are two computers and a SmartView CCTV magnifier in the Alcove. The assistive technology on these computers include JAWS screen reader, MAGic text enlarger, OpenBook, Read & Write TextHelp, MathType and Inspiration software.
Assistive technology at UC (training is provided) includes:
- JAWS screen reader
- Natural Reader screen reader
- MAGic screen magnifier
- ZoomText screen magnifier/reader
- OpenBook optical character recognition
- Dragon speech recognition
- CCTV magnifier
- Microtek scanner
- TextHELP Read & Write Gold [Students can install TextHelp on any UC PC from the Software Centre found in the Start Menu]
Equipment available for loan
- Digital Voice Recorders
- FM hearing devices
- Ergonomic accessories
Useful information for students
Windows 7 accessibility features
Google Drive to create, edit, share information & collaborate in real-time
A brief overview of ENABLING technologies that include
- Tools to match your learning style and improve your study skills with software that is available on campus and a few other good ones that can be easily acquired at little or no cost.
- Software for reading, writing, hands-free word processing, research, thinking and managing information.
- Apps for mobile devices: reading, notetaking and dictation.
Free & Open Source software (FOSS) applications that you can download and use.