ENME202-23S1 (C) Semester One 2023

Stress, Strain and Deformation in Machine Elements

15 points

Details:
Start Date: Monday, 20 February 2023
End Date: Sunday, 25 June 2023
Withdrawal Dates
Last Day to withdraw from this course:
  • Without financial penalty (full fee refund): Sunday, 5 March 2023
  • Without academic penalty (including no fee refund): Sunday, 14 May 2023

Description

Axial, torsional, transverse and bending loads; compound states of stress, principal stresses and strains; basic theories of failure for ductile and brittle materials; buckling including local buckling effects; basic energy methods; impact theory.

The primary objective of this course is to develop an understanding of stress and strain with an engineering application to common structural elements such as beams and bars.

The course will develop basic competency in the application of the methods of ‘mechanics of materials’ to problems in mechanical engineering.  The course serves as a foundation for subsequent, required courses (for Mechanical Engineers): ENME203 (Dynamics and Vibrations), ENME307 (Performance of Engineering Materials) and ENME302 (Computational and Applied Mechanical Analysis).

Prerequisites

Subject to the approval of the Dean of Engineering and Forestry

Timetable 2023

Students must attend one activity from each section.

Lecture A
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Monday 15:00 - 16:00 A1 Lecture Theatre
20 Feb - 2 Apr
24 Apr - 4 Jun
Lecture B
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Tuesday 14:00 - 15:00 K1 Lecture Theatre
20 Feb - 2 Apr
24 Apr - 4 Jun
Lecture C
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Wednesday 17:00 - 18:00 C1 Lecture Theatre
20 Feb - 2 Apr
24 Apr - 4 Jun
Lecture D
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Thursday 15:00 - 17:00 A1 Lecture Theatre
20 Feb - 2 Apr
24 Apr - 4 Jun
Tutorial A
Activity Day Time Location Weeks
01 Friday 09:00 - 11:00 Rata 222 & 223 Drawing Office
20 Feb - 2 Apr
24 Apr - 4 Jun
02 Friday 15:00 - 17:00 Rehua 005
20 Feb - 2 Apr
24 Apr - 4 Jun

Course Coordinator

Paul Docherty

Assessment

Option 1:
3 x Test Out of Hours (20% each); Homework (10% total); Final Exam (30%)

Option 2:
3 x Test Out of Hours (10% each); Homework (10% total); Final Exam (60%)

The assessment weighting that yields the highest grade for each student individually will be used automatically.  It is strongly suggested that you take option 1 - it is very difficult to make 50% from 60% of the marks!

Additional Course Outline Information

Notes

For detailed course, policy, regulatory and integrity information, please refer to the UC web site, or see relevant Course or Department LEARN pages, (which are available to enrolled students).

Indicative Fees

Domestic fee $1,560.00

International fee $6,280.00

* All fees are inclusive of NZ GST or any equivalent overseas tax, and do not include any programme level discount or additional course-related expenses.

For further information see Mechanical Engineering .

All ENME202 Occurrences

  • ENME202-23S1 (C) Semester One 2023