My research aim is to further understand the role of psychosocial development in children, especially in relation to literacy development.
I am interested in children with literacy learning difficulties across childhood. This includes psychosocial development (and links to well-being)and literacy development. I am also interested in the development of early literacy skills in children and factors that may influence this.
- Arrow A., Neville A., Denston A. and Nicholson T. (2022) Investigating the number and type of literacy assessments and interventions in Aotearoa New Zealand primary schools. Australian Journal of Learning Difficulties http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19404158.2022.2064522.
- Denston A., Martin R., Fickel L. and O'Toole V. (2022) Teachers’ perspectives of social-emotional learning: Informing the development of a linguistically and culturally responsive framework for social-emotional wellbeing in Aotearoa New Zealand. Teaching and Teacher Education 117 103813: 103813-103813. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2022.103813.
- Sleeman M., Everatt J., Arrow A. and Denston A. (2022) Evaluation of the “Three Steps in Screening for Dyslexia” Assessment Protocol Designed for New Zealand Teachers. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-022-00254-3.
- Sleeman M., Everatt J., Arrow A. and Denston A. (2022) The identification and classification of struggling readers based on the simple view of reading. Dyslexia: an international journal of research and practice Early View: 1-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/dys.1719.
- Everatt J. and Denston A. (2021) Response by Everatt and Denston. European Journal of Special Needs Education http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08856257.2021.1960016.