My research aim is to further understand the role of psychosocial development in children, especially in relation to literacy development.
Qualifications & Memberships
I am interested in children with literacy learning difficulties across childhood. This includes psychosocial development (and links to well-being)and literacy development. I am also interested in the development of early literacy skills in children and factors that may influence this.
- Arrow A., Neville A., Denston A. and Nicholson T. (2022) Investigating the number and type of literacy assessments and interventions in Aotearoa New Zealand primary schools. Australian Journal of Learning Difficulties 27(2): 185-199. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19404158.2022.2064522.
- Denston A. and Arrow A. (2022) Transition and continuity in school literacy development. Educational Review : 1-2. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131911.2022.2109329.
- Denston A., Martin R., Fickel L. and O'Toole V. (2022) Strengthening Socio-Emotional Learning in Aotearoa New Zealand: Teacher and Whānau Understandings of Wellbeing. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-022-00261-4.
- Denston A., Martin R., Fickel L. and O'Toole V. (2022) Teachers’ perspectives of social-emotional learning: Informing the development of a linguistically and culturally responsive framework for social-emotional wellbeing in Aotearoa New Zealand. Teaching and Teacher Education 117 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2022.103813.
- Everatt J. and Denston A. (2022) Response by Everatt and Denston. European Journal of Special Needs Education 37(4): 711-713. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08856257.2021.1960016.