Career development learning
Our Careers Consultants have created and collated a wide range of valuable career development learning tools, which is available online and in brochure format. We also have a library of books and DVDs available for students to borrow.
Our career development programme on LEARN is a good start and we can offer many more resources for you to teach your students.
Research your career options
Successful career, course and degree decisions begin with knowing who you are and what you can offer.
These online career planning tools enable you to do this. The results of these tools are not "the last word" - they are a way to generate job ideas that you can research and evaluate.
- Career Quest
- Prospects Planner: What Jobs would suit me?
- My Career Profile
- UC Career Development Programs
To discuss the results of one of these online assessments you can make an appointment on CareerHub to see one of our Career Consultants.
Self assessment is critical to making informed study and career decisions.
Identifying your values, and the strengths, skills and attributes you have to offer an employer can set you on the path to career success.
- Complete an online assessment at Your Career and You to increase your self-knowledge and self-awareness.
Book an appointment with a Career Consultant on CareerHub to discuss the results.
A range of seminars are regularly delivered throughout the academic year to assist you with developing your career competencies and securing and enhancing your employability. The dates and times are listed in the Events section.
Seminars cover a range of topics including:
- CVs, cover letters and job applications
- How to find a job
- Job interviews
- Psychometric testing and assessment centres
- Career branding and visibility
- Social and professional networking
- Employment agreements and negotiating salary
Please register for any seminar you wish to attend.
We also offer tailored seminars in UC's Colleges.
The Careers, Internships & Employment Resource Area contains interactive card sort exercises which you can use to clarify your values, skills and work interest areas.
Visit us to explore our resources.
A collection of books and DVDs on all aspects of careers and job hunting are available at Careers, Internships & Employment.
Bring your Canterbury Card to borrow books and DVDs for two to three days. A small number of books are available for reference only.
Visit us to explore our resources.
Log on to CareerHub to find out more about the Student & Graduate Recruitment Programme, vacancies, Careers Fairs & events, and upcoming employer infomation sessions on campus.
Visit us to find out more
- See our Careers Resource Area for books, DVDs and information about private and public companies and organisations.
- Browse through our archived Job Vacancy folders to get a fuller picture of the criteria sought by employers for a wide range of graduate positions.
Careers, Internships & Employment is on level 1 of the Geography building.
Our Discover Your Options brochure series
- Careers in the state sector (PDF 699KB)
- Considering a career in academia (PDF 589KB)
- How to set up a LinkedIn profile (PDF 354KB)
- How to make the most of Careers Fairs & Events (PDF 373KB)
- Questions for informational interviews (PDF 420KB)
- Top tips for sensible social networking (PDF 698KB)
- Volunteer work and your CV (PDF 465KB)
- Case interviewing (PDF 612KB)
- Job search strategies: International students (PDF 874KB)
- Registering on UC CareerHub as a graduate (PDF 351KB)
- Top 10 Tips on approaching recruitment companies (PDF 521KB)
- Top 10 Tips on finding engineering summer work (PDF 652KB)
- What should I wear to a job interview (PDF 745KB)