Master of Financial Management
The MFM prepares graduates and professionals from a diverse range of backgrounds for careers as finance professionals. Industry projects and guest speakers offer you a direct line of sight to the employment market and exposure to business contacts and local organisations.
Demand for both accounting and finance professionals in New Zealand continues to grow, creating considerable opportunities for employment. Financial management is a significant discipline practised by hundreds of thousands of professionals around the globe.
Gaining an MFM will position you to undertake analyst and decision-making roles in business, such as business analyst, investment analyst and management accountant. As a graduate, you will be able to:
- Gain exemptions from the academic requirements from professional accounting bodies.
- Work in consultancy firms, government organisations, not-for-profit or commercial enterprises.
Our MFM programme is ideal for recent graduates who are looking for a direct path into a business or finance role. The programme is also an excellent choice for professionals seeking to transition into a new role in business or finance. MFM participants are typically:
- Graduates from any undergraduate discipline.
- Professionals in entry to mid-level roles from organisations of any size and sector.
Multiple entry qualifications offer you a number of study options depending on your professional career goals.*
Postgraduate Diploma in Business
8 core courses
- MBAZ601 Managerial Accounting
- MBAZ602 Business Economics
- MBAZ603 Managerial Finance
- MBAZ604 Business Research Methods
- MBAZ605 Business Law
- MFIN601 Corporate Finance
- MFIN602 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- MFIN603 Financial Management
- MPAC603 Advanced Management Accounting
Core courses from the Postgraduate Diploma plus:
Capstone Course (4 modules)
MFIN670 Applied Research in Financial Management
- Business in New Zealand
- Financial and Management Accounting
- Financial Decision-Making
- Portfolio Management
1. Postgraduate Diploma in Business (PGDipBus)
The Postgraduate Diploma in Business consists of eight elective courses. These courses constitute eight of the nine required courses for the MFM programme. The diploma takes nine months to complete full-time or can be completed in up to four years part-time.
Having satisfied all requirements for the Postgraduate Diploma with a B average or above, prior to graduating, you can apply to transfer to the MFM.
Duration: Up to 4 years part-time and at full-time study, it will take 8 months.
2. Master of Financial Management (MFM)
In addition to the course requirements for the postgraduate diploma, by completing a further course and the capstone course, you can graduate with the full MFM.
The MFM gives you the opportunity to undertake more in-depth study in business and finance. For the capstone course, you will undertake consultancy projects in areas of accounting, business and finance.
Duration: Part-time up to 4 years and at full-time study, it will take 15 months.
*In consultation, a personal course of study that differs from that outlined above can be completed, subject to the approval of the Dean of Commerce.
For complete timetable information:
Individual timetables at "MyTimetable"
Course information at UC "Qualifications and courses"