Research interests include the economics of education, applied economics.
- Gunby P. and Cheung L. (2021) Crime and Mobility during the COVID-19 Lockdown: A Preliminary Empirical Exploration. New Zealand Economic Papers http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00779954.2020.1870535.
- Watt R. and Gunby P. (2020) Time is money: An economic analysis of the optimal pacing problem. Mathematical Social Sciences 108: 50-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mathsocsci.2020.08.003.
- Gunby P., Jin Y. and Robert Reed W. (2017) Did FDI Really Cause Chinese Economic Growth? A Meta-Analysis. World Development 90: 242-255. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2016.10.001.
- Healy N. and Gunby P. (2012) The impact of recent government tertiary education policies on access to higher education in New Zealand. Journal of Educational Leadership, Policy and Practice 27(1): 29-45.
- Fountain J. and Gunby P. (2011) Ambiguity, the certainty illusion, and the natural frequency approach to reasoning with inverse probabilities. New Zealand Economic Papers 45(1-2): 195-207. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00779954.2011.556079.