My research examines the interface between business and the natural environment. It spans across a range of topics such as firm’s barriers to implementation of voluntary management schemes, studies into corporate social responsibility and business ethics. More recently I have explored various aspects of standardization, namely the development of voluntary regulations such as social responsibility guidance standard ISO 26000, and aspects of adoption of standards at firm level. I have been especially interested in the assessment of effectiveness and success of policy instruments, evaluation of sustainability indicators which has been published in leading international peer-reviewed journals including Journal of Business Ethics, MIT Sloan Management Review (ranked amongst the top 45 management journals in the Financial Times FT 45 ranking), International Journal of Production Economics (A* ABDC), and in engineering journals such as Journal of Cleaner Production (A, ERA).
- Balzarova MA. and Cohen DA. (2020) The blockchain technology conundrum: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 45: 42-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2020.08.016.
- Guerello A., Page S., Holburn G. and Balzarova M. (2020) Energy for off-grid homes: Reducing costs through joint hybrid system and energy efficiency optimization. Energy and Buildings 207 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2019.109478.
- Balzarova M. and Castka P. (2018) Social responsibility: Experts’ viewpoints on adoption of the ISO 26000 standard. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 25(5): 819-824. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/csr.1497.
- Castka P. and Balzarova M. (2018) An exploration of interventions in ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certification context – a multiple case study approach. Journal of Cleaner Production 174: 1642-1652. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.11.096.
- Balzarova M. and McWilliam W. (2017) The role of dairy company policies in support of farm green infrastructure in the absence of government stewardship payments. Land Use Policy 68: 671-680. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.08.030.