Associate ProfessorMichaela Balzarova
My research examines the interface between business and the natural environment. It spans across a range of topics such as firm’s barriers to implementation of voluntary management schemes, studies into corporate social responsibility and business ethics. More recently I have explored various aspects of standardization, namely the development of voluntary regulations such as social responsibility guidance standard ISO 26000, and aspects of adoption of standards at firm level. I have been especially interested in the assessment of effectiveness and success of policy instruments, evaluation of sustainability indicators which has been published in leading international peer-reviewed journals including Journal of Business Ethics, MIT Sloan Management Review (ranked amongst the top 45 management journals in the Financial Times FT 45 ranking), International Journal of Production Economics (A* ABDC), and in engineering journals such as Journal of Cleaner Production (A, ERA).
- Balzarova M., Dyer C. and Falta M. (2022) Perceptions on blockchain readiness for Fairtrade programmes. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 185 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2022.122086.
- Robertson J., Botha E., Walker B., Wordsworth R. and Balzarova M. (2022) Fortune favours the digitally mature: The impact of digital maturity on the organisational resilience of SME retailers during COVID-19. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management 50(8/9): 1182-1204. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-10-2021-0514.
- Balzarova MA. (2021) Blockchain technology – a new era of ecolabelling schemes? Corporate Governance (Bingley) 21(1): 159-174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/CG-08-2020-0328.
- Balzarova MA. and Cohen DA. (2020) The blockchain technology conundrum: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 45: 42-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2020.08.016.
- Guerello A., Page S., Holburn G. and Balzarova M. (2020) Energy for off-grid homes: Reducing costs through joint hybrid system and energy efficiency optimization. Energy and Buildings 207 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2019.109478.