Qualifications & Memberships
Research interests lie in a combination of Torts, such as Defamation, Civil Liberties, in particular, Censorship, Bill of Rights and the broad range of topics making up Media Law, such as Privacy, and regulatory systems such as the Broadcasting Standards Authority and the Press Council.
- Cheer U. (2020) External Review of Decisions 2018 – Election Programmes. In External Review of Decisions 2018 – Election Programmes, BSA Website: www.bsa.govt.nz. Commissioned by Broadcasting Standards Authority.
- Cheer U. (2020) IEL Media Law in New Zealand, 2nd edition, International Encyclopaedia of Laws. Kluwer Law International.
- Cheer U. (2020) Media Law. New Zealand Law Review Part III.
- Cheer U. (2019) Charleston v News Group Newspapers Ltd (1995). In Rolph D (Ed.), Landmark Cases in Defamation Law: 173-194. Great Britain: Hart Publishing.
- Cheer U. (2019) Defamation. In Todd S (Ed.), Todd on Torts (8th ed.): 843-977. Wellington New Zealand: Thomson Reuters.