My research examines the interface between business and the natural environment. It spans across a range of topics such as firm’s barriers to implementation of voluntary management schemes, studies into corporate social responsibility and business ethics. More recently I have explored various aspects of standardization, namely the development of voluntary regulations such as social responsibility guidance standard ISO 26000, and aspects of adoption of standards at firm level. I have been especially interested in the assessment of effectiveness and success of policy instruments, evaluation of sustainability indicators which has been published in leading international peer-reviewed journals including Journal of Business Ethics, MIT Sloan Management Review (ranked amongst the top 45 management journals in the Financial Times FT 45 ranking), International Journal of Production Economics (A* ABDC), and in engineering journals such as Journal of Cleaner Production (A, ERA).
- Balzarova M. and Castka P. (2018) Social responsibility: Experts’ viewpoints on adoption of the ISO 26000 standard. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management 25(5): 819-824. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/csr.1497.
- Castka P. and Balzarova M. (2018) An exploration of interventions in ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certification context – a multiple case study approach. Journal of Cleaner Production 174: 1642-1652. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.11.096.
- Bowler K., Castka P. and Balzarova M. (2017) Understanding Firms’ Approaches to Voluntary Certification: Evidence from Multiple Case Studies in FSC Certification. Journal of Business Ethics 145(2): 441-456. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10551-015-2880-1.
- Esteves MC., Dean D. and Balzarova M. (2017) Assessment of building products attributes — A comparative study between eco-labelled and non-eco-labelled products available in the New Zealand market. Sustainable Production and Consumption 10: 100-109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2017.02.003.
- McWilliam W. and Balzarova M. (2017) The role of dairy company policies in support of farm green infrastructure in the absence of government stewardship payments. LAND USE POLICY 68: 671-680. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.08.030.