Matthew's current research focus is on contract law generally, as well as sales and consumer law.
- Miller L. and Barber M. (2019) Understanding Commercial Law. (9 ed.). Wellington: LexisNexis. xlv+732.
- Todd SMD., Finn J. and Barber M. (2018) Burrows, Finn and Todd on The Law of Contract in NZ. (6th ed.). Wellington: Lexis Nexis. cxxix+971.
- Barber M. (2017) Marks and Spencer and the Future of Implied Terms. New Zealand Universities Law Review 27(3): 767-788.
- Barber M. (2017) Places of Resort for the Consumption of Alcohol. New Zealand Law Journal 2017: 227-229.
- Barber M. (2016) The Contractual Interpretation of Tipping J. Victoria University of Wellington Law Review 47(2): 227-244.