Chris is Co-Director of the LLM in International Law and Politics and Associate Editor of the New Zealand Yearbook of International Law. He did his PhD under the supervision of Prof Thomas Cottier and authored 'Protection Against Unfair Competition in the WTO TRIPS Agreement' (Brill/Nijhoff 2016). He is a contributor to the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law as well as the Oxford Reports on International Law. In addition, he is the Regional Advisor for the Encyclopedia of Comparative Constitutional Law and Co-Chair of the International Economic Law Interest Group of the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law. Chris is also a member of the ILA Committee on Rule of Law and International Investment Law. He spent a seven-month research stay at the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition in Munich, sponsored by the Max Planck Society. Before joining UC, he was a postgraduate worker at the University of Edinburgh. Chris studied law at the University of Heidelberg, where he minored in environmental studies, Anglo-American and French law, and attended the summer course in public international law at The Hague Academy of International Law. He did his master’s degree at the Europa-Institut of Saarland University. His master’s thesis won the Hans-Werner Osthoff prize for excellent academic writing. Chris worked as a legal clerk for Baker McKenzie in Caracas, Venezuela, as well as in the German Embassy in Santiago de Chile. He is fluent in English, German, and Spanish.
Chris serves as the Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany in the South Island.
- Riffel CH. (2016) The Protection Against Unfair Competition in the WTO TRIPS Agreement: The Scope and Prospects of Article 10bis of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property. Leiden: Brill/Nijhoff. 344. http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/9789004313477.
- Riffel C. (2017) Havana Club Case. In Wolfrum R (Ed.), Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law: 3. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Riffel CH. (2017) Argentina – Financial Services, Panama v Argentina, Appellate Body Report, WT/DS453/AB/R, ITL 161 (WTO 2016), 14th April 2016, Appellate Body. In Wouters J; Van Calster G (Ed.), Oxford Reports on International LawOxford University Press.
- Riffel CH. (2016) Mega-Regionals. In Wolfrum R (Ed.), Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law: 23. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Riffel C. (2015) Biotech Case. In Wolfrum R (Ed.), Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law: 3. Oxford: Oxford University Press.