My research focuses on the use and impacts of IT on people. My work emphasizes two aspects of IT impacts and people. The first concerns data privacy and security and and second concerns behavioral and social aspects of IT use. My work has applications in business (e.g. Intelligent Applications, Digital Humans), health IT/Systems, and emergency management. I have also collaborated on projects in knowledge management, IT use in SMEs, and deception detection.
I am particularly excited about research on the potentials, challenges, and impacts of new and emerging technologies on people and society - technologies include smartphones, wearables, AI-enabled applications, and biometrics. My work also seeks insights into how individuals use IT (e.g. creative/innovative use, adapting to new technologies), and are impacted by IT (both positive and negative).
With over 2000 citations (h-index 17, i-index 20) and 70+ refereed articles my research has appeared in peer‐reviewed proceedings, edited books and journals including MIS Quarterly, Information and Management, Communications of the AIS, Journal of Knowledge Management, Business Process Management Journal, Information Systems Frontiers, and the Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing.
I currently serve as Senior Editor for DATA BASE and for IT & People, as Section Editor for the Australian Journal of Information Systems, and Associate Editor for the Journal of Global Information Management.
- Vaezi R., Mills A. and Chin W. (2019) User satisfaction with information systems: A comprehensive model of attribute-level satisfaction. Communications of the Association for Information Systems 45(1): 165-206. http://dx.doi.org/10.17705/1CAIS.04513.
- George JF., Gupta M., Giordano G., Mills AM., Tennant VM. and Lewis CC. (2018) The effects of communication media and culture on deception detection accuracy. MIS Quarterly: Management Information Systems 42(2): 551-575. http://dx.doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2018/13215.
- Mendes-Filho L., Mills AM., Tan FB. and Milne S. (2018) Empowering the traveler: an examination of the impact of user-generated content on travel planning. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing 35(4): 425-436. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2017.1358237.
- Todorova N. and Mills AM. (2018) Why do people share? A study of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to share knowledge in organisations. International Journal of Knowledge Management 14(3): 1-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/IJKM.2018070101.
- Chevers DA., Mills AM., Duggan EW. and Moore SE. (2017) Toward a simplified software process improvement framework for small software development organizations. Journal of Global Information Technology Management 20(2): 110-130. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1097198X.2017.1321356.