My research interests center around the behavioural, social and organisational aspects IS/IT use and impacts, IS satisfaction and service quality, personal information/data privacy & security with applications in business (e.g. Intelligent Applications, Digital Humans), health IT/Systems, and emergency management. I have also collaborated on projects in knowledge management, IS in SMEs, deception detection, empowerment, and IS education.
I am particularly excited about research that examine the potentials, challenges, and impacts of new and emerging technologies on people and society - technologies include smartphone technology, wearables, AI-enabled applications, and virtual/augmented reality. My work on the use of IT also seeks insights into how individuals use IT (e.g. creative/innovative use, adapting to new technologies), and are impacted by IT (both positive and negative).
With over 1800 citations (h-index 14, i-index 18) and 70+ refereed articles my research has appeared in peer‐reviewed proceedings, edited books and journals including MIS Quarterly, Information and Management, Communications of the AIS, Journal of Knowledge Management, Business Process Management Journal, Information Systems Frontiers, & Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing. I currently serve as Senior Editor for DATA BASE, as Section Editor for the Australian Journal of Information Systems, and as Associate Editor for the Journal of Global Information Management and for the International Journal of eCollaboration.
- George JF., Gupta M., Giordano G., Mills AM., Tennant VM. and Lewis CC. (2018) The effects of communication media and culture on deception detection accuracy. MIS Quarterly: Management Information Systems 42(2): 551-575. http://dx.doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2018/13215.
- Mendes-Filho L., Mills AM., Tan FB. and Milne S. (2018) Empowering the traveler: an examination of the impact of user-generated content on travel planning. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing 35(4): 425-436. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2017.1358237.
- Todorova N. and Mills AM. (2018) Why do people share? A study of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation to share knowledge in organisations. International Journal of Knowledge Management 14(3): 1-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/IJKM.2018070101.
- Chevers DA., Mills AM., Duggan EW. and Moore SE. (2017) Toward a simplified software process improvement framework for small software development organizations. Journal of Global Information Technology Management 20(2): 110-130. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1097198X.2017.1321356.
- Chevers D., Mills AM., Duggan E. and Moore S. (2016) An evaluation of software development practices among small firms in developing countries: A test of a simplified software process improvement model. Journal of Global Information Management 24(3): 45-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/JGIM.2016070103.