Scientific work starts with definitions and ends with models.
One of my research goals is to develop advanced materials based on understanding of the “Structure-State-Property” relationship. The specific objectives to achieve the goal are:
(1) Synthesizing novel polymeric resins to give specific properties
(2) developing processes to produce polymeric products
(3) developing scientific instruments to characterize polymeric resins and products.
Considering current environmental issues, I am researching and developing environmentally benign polymers. Biodegradable polymers in the market have low mechanical properties yet are expensive. Thus, the natural direction is enhancing properties and lowering the cost. Production processes should also be environment-friendly, so that I am developing processes utilising inert gases or supercritical fluids to replace toxic chemicals such as chemical blowing agents for foaming process.
Most polymer processes involve high-pressure such in extrusion, and thus I have been studying the effects of pressure and temperature on properties and synthesis of polymers. Changing those variable also induces phase changes of the materials, and these are also of my research topics.
I am studying the following materials
biodegradable fibres (fishing nets)
biodegradable films (agricultural mulch films)
biodegradable foams (insulator, floats, and cushion)
biomedical sealants (replacing suture)
Developing processes at high pressure is another objective of my research goals. I have been studying effects of processing variables (temperature, pressure, and concentration of additives) on extracting specific chemicals from various materials such as sea animals and plants and on sterilising foods.
- Gasek N., Park HE., Uriarte JJ., Uhl FE., Pouliot R., Riveron A., Moss T., Phillips Z., Louie J. and Sharma I. (2021) Development of Alginate and Gelatin-Based Pleural and Tracheal Sealants. Acta Biomaterialia (accepted and in production) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2021.06.048.
- Lin L., Lee Y. and Park HE. (2021) Erratum: Recycling and rheology of poly(lactic acid) (PLA) to make foams using supercritical fluid (Phys. Fluids (2021) 33 (067119) DOI: 10.1063/5.0050649). Physics of Fluids 33(7) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/5.0062586.
- Lin L., Lee Y. and Park HE. (2021) Recycling and rheology of poly(lactic acid) (PLA)to make foams using supercritical fluid. Physics of Fluids 33(6) 067119 http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/5.0050649.
- Park HE., Gasek N., Hwang J., Weiss DJ. and Lee PC. (2020) Effect of temperature on gelation and cross-linking of gelatin methacryloyl for biomedical applications. Physics of Fluids 32(3) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.5144896.
- Pouliot RA., Young BM., Link PA., Park HE., Kahn AR., Shankar K., Schneck MB., Weiss DJ. and Heise RL. (2020) Porcine Lung-Derived Extracellular Matrix Hydrogel Properties Are Dependent on Pepsin Digestion Time. Tissue Engineering - Part C: Methods 26(6): 332-346. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/ten.tec.2020.0042.