Scholarships and funding
A number of scholarships are available to students of Journalism, both within UC and externally. Search the UC Scholarships database for general UC funding opportunities.
Major scholarship opportunities for Journalism students
Robert Bell Scholarship
Each year, at least one Robert Bell Scholarship (worth $5000 each) is awarded to students enrolled in the journalism programme based on their previous academic records. Admission to the core journalism course COMS331 is deemed to constitute an application.
D.W. Bain Prize
Awarded annually to the top Journalism student.
Kiwi Asian Scholarship
The Asia New Zealand Foundation offers a Kiwi Asian Journalism Scholarship to attract more Asian New Zealanders into journalism. Information on the next year's scholarship will be available November/December the preceding year.
Travel funding and internships
Robert Bell Travelling Scholarship in Journalism
Students who graduate with the UC Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism are eligible to apply for the annual Robert Bell Travelling Scholarship in Journalism. The scholarship is worth about $12,000 and was established to enable journalists to travel overseas to research news media.
Past research reports include:
- Tess McClure, 2017, Sustaining hyper-local public interest journalism
- Talia Shadwell, 2017, The collaborative newsrooms of the future
- Katie Chapman: professional development in the work room
- John Hartevelt, 2013 Making or breaking news?
- Farming media online - what can New Zealand learn from the UK?
- Rebecca Todds, iPad Newspapers in the UK: One Year On
- Shanna Crispin, 2011 Attracting Young Readers – Tactics for Engagement.
- Jerry Andrew, 2011 Tackling the Digital Future of Sports Journalism
- Sara Vui'Talitu, Media Freedom in the Pacific Region
- Kineta Knight, The digitalisation of radio
- Mike Steere, The Age of Podcasting
Asia New Zealand internship scholarships and travel grants
The Asia New Zealand Foundation offers New Zealand journalism student graduates and working journalists the opportunity to take up internships at news organisations in Asia, ranging from six weeks to three months in length. Past internships have included:
- CNBC Asia in Singapore
- Deccan Herald
- International New York Times in Hong Kong
- Jakarta Globe
- Korea JoongAng Daily
- Philippine Star
- Phnom Penh Post
- Shanghai Daily
The Asia New Zealand Foundation awards travel grants to journalists who have a clear plan of what stories they want to cover in Asia, as well as discretionary grants for work placements and exchanges with Asian media organisations. You can find out more information about these grants on the Asia New Zealand Foundation website.