Sacha brings a serial entrepreneur’s approach to working with and for Iwi Māori. From instigating United Nations proceedings to architecting a Māori social enterprise fund and leading commercial negotiations, she is known for solution-building that meets Iwi Māori aspirations.
Before coming to UC, Sacha was the director of a boutique consultancy working with Iwi Māori in strategy development, kaupapa Māori asset management and innovation and the General Manager Strategy and influence with Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu, responsible for government relations on behalf of the Iwi.
Recognised as an emerging New Zealand leader, Sacha won the inaugural Fulbright Harkness Fellowship in 2010. Sacha is a change agent and compliments her varied background with a desire to support and grow the next generation of Māori scholars. Initiatives like the Māui lab are a product of that intent and just one of the many innovations that Sacha intends to bring through Aotahi in the years to come.
Sacha is researching in the areas of:
• Iwi Māori development, innovation and entrepreneurship
• Iwi Māori futures, social and cultural capital
• Comparative approaches to Indigenous peoples
• Public policy
- McMeeking S., Leahy H. and Savage C. (2020) An Indigenous self-determination social movement response to COVID-19. AlterNative 16(4): 395-398. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1177180120967730.
- McMeeking S. (2019) Changing social change -Maintaining the Why but changing the How we do what we do. Wellington: Tātou Tātou E, 27-28 Aug 2019.
- McMeeking S. (2019) Enhancing the Māori Innovation Ecosystem. New Zealand Yearbook of Jurisprudence Special Issue on Māori Governance.
- McMeeking S. (2019) Enhancing the Māori Innovation Ecosystem. In Joseph R (Ed.), Māori Governance in the 21st Century.
- McMeeking S. (2019) Māori Social Enterprise and Indigenous Nation Building. Governing for Indigenous Self-determined Development: An International Perspective.