Dr Siobhan O'Sullivan (Australia)
Dr. Siobhan O’Sullivan is a lecturer in social policy at UNSW, Australia. After being awarded her PhD by Sydney University she worked at the University of Melbourne for seven years. Her research is focused on animal welfare laws with a focus on the way in which animal activists influence policy change. In 2011 her book Animals, Equality and Democracy was published by Palgrave Macmillan. Siobhan also comments extensively in the media. You can read her work for The Conversation here: https://theconversation.com/profiles/siobhan-osullivan-1648. You can learn more about her work generally at https://socialsciences.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/siobhan-osullivan/ and here: https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Siobhan-OSullivan-1437453473192433/. Siobhan produces a fortnightly podcast called Knowing Animals which features Animal Studies scholars, and animal advocates, talking about their work. You can listen to Knowing Animals free here: http://knowinganimals.libsyn.com.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), Animals, Equality and Democracy, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Garner, R. and O’Sullivan, S. (eds.) (forthcoming), The Political Turn in Animal Ethics, Rowman and Littlefield International.
- O’Sullivan, S. (forthcoming), ‘Animals and the Politics of Equity’, in Garner, R. and O’Sullivan, S. (eds), The Political Turn in Animal Ethics, Rowman and Littlefield International.
- O’Sullivan, S. and Little, A. (forthcoming), ‘Democracy for Animals’, in McManus, P. (ed.), More than Human, Sydney: Sydney University Press.
- Ross, S. and O’Sullivan, S., (2013), ‘The World Trade Organisation (WTO)’, in Linzey, A. (ed.), The Global Guide to Animal Protection, University of Illinois Press.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2009), ‘Australasian Animal Protection Law and the Challenge of Equal Consideration,’ in Sankoff, P. and White, S. (eds.), Animal Law in Australasia: A New Dialogue, Sydney: Federation Press, pp. 108-127.
- Hadley, J. and O’Sullivan, S. (2008), ‘Utilitarianism for the Dog that has Everything’, in Hales, S.D. (ed.), What Philosophy Can Tell You About Your Dog, Chicago: Open Court Publishing, pp. 283-292.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2007), ‘Legislation – History (International) of Animal Welfare Policy’, in Bekoff, M. (ed.), Encyclopaedia of Human-Animal Relations: a global exploration of our connections with animals, Connecticut: Greenwood Press, pp. 1000-1007.
Refereed journal articles:
- Cochrane, A., O’Sullivan, S. and Garner, R. (forthcoming), ‘Animal Ethics and the Political’, Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy.
- O’Sullivan, S., McCausland, C. and Brenton, S. (forthcoming), ‘Animal Activists, Civil Disobedience and Global Responses to Transnational Injustice’, Res Publica.
- Sima, Y. and O’Sullivan, S. (forthcoming), ‘Chinese Animal Protection Laws and the Globalisation of Welfare Norms’, International Journal of Law in Context.
- O’Sullivan, S., Grey, J. and Creed, B. (2014), “‘Low down dirty rat’: popular and moral responses to urban wildlife living in suburban Melbourne”, Relations. Beyond Anthropocentrism, 2 (2).
- McCausland, C., O’Sullivan, S. and Brenton, S., (2013) ‘Trespass, Animals and Democratic Engagement’, Res Publica, 19 (3), pp. 205 – 221.
- Considine, M. and O’Sullivan, S. (2012), ‘Les réformes de l’activation des aides aux chômeurs en Australie (The Reform of Active Labour Market Policy in Australia)’, Informations Sociales, 171, pp. 28 – 37.
- Otter, C., O’Sullivan, S. and Ross, S. (2012), ‘Laying the Foundations for an International Animal Protection Regime’, Journal of Animal Ethics, 2 (1): 53 – 72.
- Hadley, J. and O’Sullivan, S. (2009), ‘World Poverty, Animal Minds and the Ethics of Veterinary Expenditure’, Environmental Values, 18(3), pp.361-378.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2008), ‘Transparency in Australian animal research regulation – How are we doing?’, Australian Animal Protection Law Journal, I(I), pp.15-35.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2007), ‘Advocating for Animals from within a Liberal Paradigm’, Environmental Politics, 16(1), pp.1-14.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2006), ‘Transparency and Animal Research Regulation: An Australian Case Study’, Animal Liberation Philosophy and Politics Journal, IV(I), pp. 1-15.
Articles in professional journals:
- O’Sullivan, S., (2005), ‘Introduction to the Politics of Animal Protection’, Australian and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching (ANZCCART) News, 18(1).
- O’Sullivan, S., (2004), ‘Asian Elephant Debate’, The Veterinarian April.
Book reviews in academic journals:
- Freeman, C., Leane, E and Watt, Y. (eds.) (2011), Considering Animals: Contemporary Studies in Human-Animal Relations. Reviewed for Animals 2012, 2, 1-x manuscripts; doi:10.3390/ani20x000x.
- Francione, G. and Garner, R. (2010), The Animal Rights Debate: abolition or regulation?, New York: Columbia University Press. Reviewed for Environmental Politics 21(3).
- Milligan, T. (2010), Beyond Animal Rights: food, pets and ethics, London: Continuum. Reviewed for the Journal of Animal Ethics(forthcoming).
- Morikawa, J. (2009), Whaling in Japan: Power, Politics and Diplomacy, London: Hurst & Company. Reviewed for Environmental Politics 21(1).
- Preece, R. (2008), Sins of the Flesh: a history of ethical vegetarian thought, Vancouver: UBC Press. Reviewed for Environmental Politics 19(4).
- Singer, P. (2009), The Life you can Save: acting now to end world poverty, Melbourne: Text Publishing. Reviewed for the Australian Journal of Political Science (forthcoming).
- Moog, S. and Stones, R. (eds.) (2009), Nature, Social Relations and Human Needs: Essays in Honour of Ted Benton, New York: Palgrave Macmillan. Reviewed for Environmental Politics 18(4).
- DeSombre, E. R. (2006), Flagging Standards: Globalization and Environmental, Safety, and Labor Regulations at Sea, Cambridge: MIT Press. Reviewed for Environmental Politics 17(3).
- Ansell, C. and Vogel, D. (eds.) (2006), What’s the Beef?: The Contested Governance of European Food Safety, Cambridge: MIT Press. Reviewed for Environmental Politics, 16(3).
- Brighouse, H. (2004), Justice: Polity Key Concepts Series, Cambridge: Polity Press. Reviewed for the Australian Journal of Political Science, 41(4).
- Garner, R. (2005), Animal Ethics, Cambridge: Polity Press. Reviewed for Environmental Politics, 15(4).
- Sunstein, C. R and Nussbaum, M. C. (eds.) (2004), Animal Rights: Current Debates and New Directions, Oxford: Oxford University Press. Reviewed for the Australian Journal of Political Science 40(2).
Other published works:
- O’Sullivan, S. (2015), ‘Why are Australian livestock still turning up in places where they are treated cruelly?’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/why-are-australian-livestock-still-turning-up-in-places-where-they-are-treated-cruelly-49442.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2015), ‘The Importance of Knowing Animals’, Sydney Environment Institute Blog, http://sydney.edu.au/environment-institute/blog/the-importance-of-knowing-animals.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2015), ‘Gagging debate won’t right this wrong’, Sydney Morning Herald, http://www.smh.com.au/comment/gagging-debate-wont-right-this-wrong-20150824-gj69ns.html.
- O’Sullivan, S., (2015), ‘New laws could stop revelations of animal abuse’, Sydney Morning Herald, http://www.smh.com.au/comment/new-laws-could-stop-revelations-of-animal-abuse-20150217-13go4u.html.
- O’Sullivan, S. and Wadiwel, D. (2014), ‘We have animal welfare laws but they don’t stop the suffering’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/we-have-animal-welfare-laws-but-they-dont-stop-the-suffering-30703.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2014), ‘Live animal export rules are useless without enforcement’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/live-animal-export-rules-are-useless-without-enforcement-27278.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2014), ‘Animal welfare in Victoria: the death of two racing horses raises questions’, The Guardian, http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/26/animal-welfare-in-victoria-the-death-of-two-racing-horses-raises-questions.
- McCausland, C. and O’Sullivan, S. (2014), ‘Drones, animals and the right to know: an Australian perspective’, Centre for Animals and Social Justice, http://www.casj.org.uk/blogs/drones-australia/.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2014), “‘Ag gag’ laws: The battle for animal welfare is a battle over information”, The Guardian, http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/05/ag-gag-laws-the-battle-for-animal-welfare-is-a-battle-over-information.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2013), Animal Welfare: A policy debate all at sea, Election Watch2013, http://2013electionwatch.com.au/analysis/policy-debate-all-sea.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2013), ‘Assessing Australia’s regulation of live animal exports’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/assessing-australias-regulation-of-live-animal-exports-16427. Re-published in Queensland Country Life..
- O’Sullivan, S. (2013), ‘Guest Column with Siobhan O’Sullivan’, Melbourne University Staff/Student E-news (MUSSE).
- McCausland, C. and O’Sullivan, S. (2013), ‘Queensland cattle crisis: animal welfare or the environment?’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/queensland-cattle-crisis-animal-welfare-or-the-environment-14543. Re-published in the Brisbane Times: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-cattle-crisis-animal-welfare-or-the-environment-20130522-2k0cz.html; Allnews Australia: http://www.allnewsau.com/news/queensland-cattle-crisis-animal-welfare-or-the-environment.
- O’Sullivan, S. and McCausland, C. (2013), ‘Civil disobedience can lead to change in treatment of animals’, The Voice, http://voice.unimelb.edu.au/volume-9/number-5/civil-disobedience-can-lead-change-treatment-animals.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2013), ‘Why human suffering and animal welfare are the one issue’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.edu.au/why-human-suffering-and-animal-welfare-are-the-one-issue-12828.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2012), ‘The Problem with Victoria’s Ban on Duck Rescuers’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/the-problem-with-victorias-ban-on-duck-rescuers-10078.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2012), ‘The Live Export of Animals will always be a Bloody Business’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/the-live-export-of-animals-will-always-be-a-bloody-business-10547.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2012), ‘Animals – the meat in the Olympic sandwich’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/animals-the-meat-in-the-olympic-sandwich-8515.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2012), ‘Celebrating 150 years of Captivity’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.edu.au/celebrating-150-years-of-captivity-6569.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2012), ‘Pet or pet-food: a confused rabbit's tale’, ABC Environment, http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2012/03/06/3446094.htm.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘Steggles' ‘free to roam’ claim could hatch a whole lot of trouble for poultry producers’, The Conversation, https://theconversation.edu.au/steggles-free-to-roam-claim-could-hatch-a-whole-lot-of-trouble-for-poultry-producers-4600.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘Bart Cummings has never won a Melbourne Cup (because he hasn’t run in one)’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/bart-cummings-has-never-won-a-melbourne-cup-because-he-hasnt-run-in-one-4093.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘Australians Increasingly Uncomfortable with Animal Cruelty’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/australia-increasingly-uncomfortable-with-animal-cruelty-3439.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘Live animal exports and Australian politics – more than a case of conscience, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/live-animal-exports-and-australian-politics-more-than-a-case-of-conscience-2964.
- O’Sullivan, S. Ross, S. and Otter, C. (2011), ‘The OIE and Live Animal Exports’, The Australian Financial Review, July.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘One small thing you can do for the environment: think about what you buy’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/one-small-thing-you-can-do-for-the-environment-think-about-what-you-buy-2033.
- Ross, R. and O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘Can the WTO overturn our Indonesian live animal export ban?’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/can-the-wto-overturn-our-indonesian-live-animal-export-ban-1913.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘Live Animal Export: when others do the killing for us’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/live-animal-export-when-others-do-the-killing-for-us-1562.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2011), ‘Jumps Racing: what a waste’, The Conversation, http://theconversation.edu.au/jumps-racing-what-a-waste-1252.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2010), ‘Who Cares about the Animals?’, ABC Unleashed, November 2010.
- O’Sullivan, S., (2010), ‘Not for the Birds: why we must take animal welfare seriously’, People, Productivity, Planet, January, http://www.peopleproductivityplanet.com/2010/01/not-for-the-birds/
- O’Sullivan, S., (2009), ‘Animal Ethics Committees and the Community’s (lack of) Involvement in Decisions about Animal Research’, Australian Association for Humane Research Newsletter, Issue 120, December.
- O’Sullivan, S., (2006), ‘Elephants at the Zoo’ for ABC Radio National’s Perspectives, February 2006.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2004), , ‘Animals’ needs come before human curiosity and profit’, The Sydney Morning Herald, Monday, February 23.