My research interests focus on the intersections between media technologies and social and cultural practice, in areas such as broadcasting and social media. I am particularly interested in creative uses of technologies in visual and sound arts and experimental music, the conceptualisation and use of radio spectrum and wireless technologies, and disaster recovery and resilience for creative communities.
- Joyce Z. (2020) Radio Spectrum as Indigenous Space. In Taylor G; Middleton C (Ed.), Frequencies: International Spectrum Policy: 19-45. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- Joyce Z. (2021) Student Radio: “A Good Friend of New Zealand Music”. Journal of Radio and Audio Media 28(1): 125-143. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19376529.2020.1854260.
- Joyce ZC. (2019) “We’re looking out through a window to a field of weeds and sand and stones”: The Stadium Broadcast, a Radio Memorial. Space and Culture 22(4): 357-368. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1206331217752620.
- Joyce Z. (2018) Alternative Radio : exhibiting radio and music heritage after the Christchurch earthquakes. International Journal of Heritage Studies 24(3): 230-242. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13527258.2017.1378899.
- Joyce ZC. (2016) 'Thank goodness for our little radio': Researching post-quake radio audiences. Participations: journal of audience and reception studies 13(2): 86-108.