Acting Head of Fine Arts \ Senior Lecturer in PhotographyTimothy Veling
Since the completion of my MFA, I have been engaged in many long-term projects. I see my practice as a progression of thought. Each new project has posed problems and led me to elaborate on or redefine my creative voice and vision. I have always conceived of my own projects as distinct bodies of work, each addressing different issues or themes. Each body of work I have produced evidences a shift in methodology and approach to the medium but the philosophical concerns underpinning the work have remained the same. At heart, each is an exploration of the ideas of home, belonging, family and New Zealand’s social and cultural landscape. In this sense, my research is based within of the documentary tradition, examining the people and places that surround me.
- Engberg J., Veling T., Aberhart L., Banner F., Binet H., Daw K., Dean T., Ford JR., Fusinato M. and Gordon D. (2021) All That Was Solid Melts. Contributing artist for group exhibition curated by Juliana Engberg, Australia.: Auckland Art Gallery, Toi O Tāmaki. 4 Jun-10 Oct 2021. [Photography].
- McDonald A., Veling T., Boreham C., Hamilton J., Lu K., Mackrell T., Muse S., Saye C., Shaw Y. and Koloamatangi T. (2021) Together Alone. Contributing artist: Unitec Institue of Technology, Mt. Albert, Auckland. 9 Jun-2 Jul 2021. [Photography].
- Veling T. (2021) New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering. Christchurch Transitional Cathedral: New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering Annual Technical Conference, 14-16 Apr 2021.
- Veling T. (2021) We Stand Here – Celebrating Five Years of the Christchurch Documentary Project. Curator and project facilitator: Tūranga, Christchurch. 9 Jul-27 Sep 2021. [Photography and digital media].
- Veling T. (2021) We Stand Here – Children's Vision for Ōtautahi. Artist, project and workshop facilitator and curator: Tūranga, Christchurch.. 9 Jul-27 Sep 2021. [Photograph and mixed media].