Given its vast and complex history radical shifts within painting are limited or subtle. As Picasso once noted, “No artist ever invented a new shape”. Painting currently operates within an expanded field of pluralist activity. An activity beyond stylistic progression and ranging from grand schemes to diary-like entries into which any number of ideas, mediums, moods, or traditions can enter. My recent research considers abstraction and how it can operate as a Rorschach or gestalt. The painting's beginnings are often prompted by the likes of photography, cinema, or literature. A figurative or literal point of departure is usually reduced or compressed to impart a mix of migrating forms and collapsed histories. The works embrace shifting modes of expression guided by personal reflexivity while striving to evoke an associative or empathetic response in the viewer.
- Neate R. (2021) Hellzapoppin'! The Art of Flying Nun. Director/D.O.P/Editor: Christchurch Art Gallery. 21 Aug-28 Nov 2021. [16mm film digital transfer].
- Neate R. (2021) Paintings. Artist: Melanie Roger Gallery, Auckland. 4-28 Aug 2021. [Oil on canvas].
- Kreisler A., Neate R., Palmer L., Veling T. and Chrisstoffels J. (2020) Track and trace. Curator: Ilam campus gallery, Ilam school of fine arts, university of canterbury. 27 Feb-20 Mar 2020. [Multi-media contemporary art exhibition].
- Neate R. (2020) Auckland Virtual Art Fair. artist: 30 Apr-17 May 2020. [oil paintings].
- Neate R. (2020) City Art Reader 31: Gallery Guide What's on at you place.. Author: Art Depot, Christchurch. 7 May 2020. [Written commentary on artwork by Nathan Pohio.].