Primum cogitare, dein bibamus
Dr Gilbert has done extensive research in the areas of crime and justice. He is New Zealand’s leading authority on gangs and the author of Patched: The history of gangs in New Zealand and award winning and best selling book, which stemmed from New Zealand most extensive underworld ethnography. He co-edited Criminal Justice: A New Zealand Introduction, and he writes a column for the New Zealand Herald.
- Gilbert J. and Martin S. (2019) A Rebel in Exile. Richmond: Hardie Grant Books. 272.
- Gilbert J. (2013) Patched: The History of Gangs in New Zealand. Auckland: Auckland University Press. 360.
- Gilbert J; Newbold GC (Ed.) (2017) Criminal Justice: A New Zealand Introduction. Auckland: Auckland University Press. 342.
- Gilbert J. (2022) Street racism - skinheads in New Zealand. In Cunningham M; La Rooji M; Spoonley P (Ed.), Histories of Hate : The Radical Right in Aotearoa New Zealand Dunedin: Otago University Press.
- Gilbert J. (2021) The Politics and Political Management of Gangs. In Stanley E; Monod de Froideville S; Bradley T (Ed.), The Aotearoa Handbook of Criminology New Zealand: Auckland University Press.