Qualifications & Memberships
Enrica’s research focus is on Greek and Roman socio-cultural history and the development of new approaches towards the study of textual materials and cultural practices. Both strands meet in her 2011 major publications, Cato the Censor and the Beginnings of Latin Prose: From Poetic Translation to Elite Transcription and the co-edited volume Complicating the History of Western Translation. The former engages with the misconstruction of early Roman literary practices caused by hyper-textual analyses and complicates the traditional separation of prose from poetry; the latter meets with translation studies’ interest in considering alternative ideas and forms of translation that take into account the translator's agency. Along the way she has published in major journals and contributed to important edited volumes on a wide range of topics, including methodological issues, oratory, education, rhetoric, historiography and the ancient fable. Finally, she has organized and has been invited to a number of leading conferences and workshops in Australasia, the United States, Italy and the United Kingdom.
- Sciarrino E. (2011) Cato the Censor and the Beginnings of Latin Prose: From Poetic Translation to Elite Transcription. Columbus: Ohio State University Press. 239pp.
- Sciarrino E. (2019) Food, recipes and empire in Mid-Republican Rome. Arts Centre, Teece Museum, Christchurch: Fantastic Feasts, Exhibition opening at the Teece Museum.
- Sciarrino E. (2019) Ennius and the Annales in Cicero's Philosophical works: Reflections on Cicero's citational strategies. Armidale, Australia: The 50Th Australasian Society for Classical Studies Conference, 28 Jan 2019.
- Sciarrino E. (2019) Traces of Philology in Mid Republican Latin Poetry. Ramus 48.
- O'Sullivan PD., Allan B., Swift L., Sciarrino E. and Field P. (2018) 'Tyranny and Crises of Democracy: What we can learn from Antiquity'. Arts Centre, Christchurch: 'Tyranny and Crises of Democracy: What we can learn from Antiquity', An Evening With ... Public Lecture Series, 06 Mar 2018.