Kia ora, I'm Conor Clarke. Born in 1982, I grew up in rural south Auckland and am of Ngāi Tahu, Irish and Welsh descent. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts from Elam School of Fine Arts, University of Auckland, and was a guest student at the Academy of Fine Arts Leipzig, Germany from 2018 - 19. I relocated to Christchurch in 2019 after ten years based in Berlin.
I am a photographic artist, although more recently I have experimented with sound and moving image. I'm interested in visual perception, ecology, conceptions of nature, colonialism, land use and landscape representation. I exhibit regularly and am represented by Two Rooms Gallery in Auckland.
- Clarke C., Cheng X., Chrisstoffels J., van Hout R., Lacey S., Lilo J., Monu S., Oram J., Paul N. and Reweti B. (2020) Spheres: An Online Video Project, curated by Melanie Oliver and Nathan Pohio. Commissioned exhibiting artist: Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetū. 5 May-5 Oct 2020. [Moving Image, audio].
- Clarke C., Shelton A., Waugh S. and Anderson G. (2020) Cracker. Invited exhibiting artist: Two Rooms Gallery, Auckland. 26 Nov-23 Dec 2020. [Photography].
- Fitts E., Perkins O. and Clarke C. (2020) Touching Sight, curated by Melanie Oliver. Commissioned exhibiting artist: Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetū. 31 Oct 2020-21 Feb 2021. [Tactile photographs (braille) and audio narration, shown alongside painting and textiles].
- Clarke C. (2019) Ground Water Mirror. Exhibiting artist - solo exhibition: SoFA Ilam Campus Gallery, Christchurch. 21 Jun-19 Jul 2019. [Photography].
- Clarke C. (2019) Unchained Melody, SCAPE Public Art Season 2019, curated by Emma Bugden. Invited exhibiting artist: CoCA Centre of Contemporary Art, Christchurch. 14 Sep-24 Nov 2019. [Two-channel video, two-channel audio, installation].