Magic Weapons: Professor Anne-Marie Brady's groundbreaking research into CCP political interference activities demonstrates the important role of the academic as "critic and conscience" in a modern democracy.
Professor Brady is a specialist of Chinese politics (domestic politics and foreign policy), polar politics, Pacific politics, and New Zealand foreign policy. She is a fluent Mandarin Chinese speaker. She is founding and executive editor of The Polar Journal (Taylor and Francis Publishers). She has published ten books and over fifty scholarly papers. She has written op eds for the New York Times, The Guardian, The Australian, Sydney Morning Herald, and The Financial Times. Her research has a strong policy focus.
In 2017, Professor Brady put her conference paper "Magic Weapons: CCP Political Influence Activities Under Xi Jinping" online, as the topic was of public interest. The paper has been downloaded more 160, 000 times and has helped spark a debate in NZ, as well as internationally, that resulted in a Parliamentary Inquiry into Foreign Interference in NZ https://www.wilsoncenter.org/article/magic-weapons-chinas-political-influence-activities-under-xi-jinping
Professor Brady is a Global Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Centre in Washington DC. In 2014 she was appointed to a two-year term on the World Economic Forum's Global Action Council on the Arctic. Her recent books include: Marketing Dictatorship: Propaganda and Thought Work in Contemporary China (Rowman and Littlefield, 2008), China's Thought Management (Routledge, 2012), The Emerging Politics of Antarctica (Routledge, 2013), China as a Polar Great Power (Cambridge University Press and Wilson Press, 2017), and Small States and the Changing Global Order: New Zealand Faces the Future (Springer, 2019).
- Brady AS. (2017) China as a Polar Great Power. Washington DC and New York, USA: Woodrow Wilson Center Press and Cambridge University Press. 273. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/9781316832004.
- Brady AM. (2012) China’s thought management. 1-218. http://dx.doi.org/10.4324/9780203803455.
- Brady AM. (2008) Marketing Dictatorship: Propaganda and Thought Work in Contemporary China. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Brady AM. (2003) Making the Foreign Serve China: Managing Foreigners in the People's Republic. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield. 286pp.
- Brady A. (2002) Friend of China: The Myth of Rewi Alley. London: RoutledgeCurzon. 210pp.