To understand the political, social and economic world through research and teaching.
Qualifications & Memberships
Alex Tan is Professor of Political Science (University of Canterbury), Honorary Professor (NZ Defence Force Command and Staff College), Associate Director (NZ Contemporary China Research Centre), Fellow (John Goodwin Tower Center for Political Studies, Dallas, USA), adjunct University Chair Professor of Political Science (National Chengchi University, Taiwan). He was a member of the Public Advisory Committee on Disarmament and Arms Control (2019-22). At UC, he was head of department (2005-08, 2017-22) and recipient of many teaching awards including the University Lecturer of the Year (2014), College of Arts (CoA) Lecturer of the Year (2014, 2017), CoA Teaching Excellence Award (2015), finalist for CoA Lecturer of the Year (2013, 2019). He received his PhD (Political Science) from Texas A&M University, MA (Economics) from the University of California at Santa Barbara, and AB (Economics) from the Ateneo de Manila. Before joining UC, he is tenured associate professor at the University of North Texas, postdoctoral fellow at the Southern Methodist University (Dallas), banker with HSBC, and research fellow at Taiwan Institute of Economic Research. He was visiting scholar at universities in the US, UK, Germany, Japan, and Taiwan and represented NZ in Track II security/economic dialogues. Alex is section editor of Frontiers in Political Science/Political Economy section and editorial board member of academic journals such as Political Behavior, Political Science, Asian Survey, Issues and Studies, Journal of Asian Security & International Affairs, Croatian Political Science Review, Journal of Electoral Studies, and Korean Journal of International Studies. He writes extensively in the areas of parties & elections, political economy, Asian politics, and international affairs.
- Roddis KL. and Tan AC. (2022) Diplomatie de la défense : la lutte pour le cœur du Pacifique. Outre-Terre N° 60-61(1): 369-395. http://dx.doi.org/10.3917/oute2.060.0370.
- Tan A; Young J (Ed.) (2022) Special Issue on "Falling in and falling out: Indo-Pacific in the midst of US-China tensions in the post-COVID world.". Political Science 73(1)1-84.
- Clark C., Tan A. and Ho K. (2021) Introduction. Taiwan at a Crossroads. In Clark C; Ho K; Tan A (Ed.), Taiwan: Environmental, Political and Social Issues New York, USA: Nova Science Publishers.
- Clark C., Tan AC. and Ho K. (2021) Partisan Polarization and Fragmentation in the Taiwanese Electorate: Evidence from the 2020 Elections. In Clark C; Ho K; Tan A (Ed.), Taiwan: Environmental, Political and Social Issues New York, USA: Nova Science Publishers.
- Clark C; Ho K; Tan AC (Ed.) (2021) Taiwan: Environmental, Political and Social Issues. New York, USA: Nova Science Publishers.