To understand the political, social and economic world through research and teaching.
Qualifications & Memberships
Alex Tan is Professor of Political Science and International Relations (University of Canterbury), Honorary Professor (NZDF Command and Staff College), Associate Director (NZ Contemporary China Research Centre), Fellow (John G. Tower Center for Political Studies, USA), adjunct University Chair Professor of Political Science (National Chengchi University, Taiwan). He was member of the Public Advisory Committee on Disarmament and Arms Control (2019-21). At UC, he was head of department (2005-08, 2017-22) and recipient of teaching awards including the University Lecturer of the Year (2014), Arts Lecturer of the Year (2014, 2017), Arts Teaching Excellence Award (2015), Arts Lecturer of the Year finalist (2013, 2019). He received his PhD from Texas A&M University, MA (Economics) from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and AB (Economics) from the Ateneo de Manila. Before joining UC, he is tenured associate professor at the University of North Texas, postdoctoral fellow at Southern Methodist University, banker with HSBC, and researcher at Taiwan Institute of Economic Research. He was visiting scholar at universities in the US, UK, Germany, Japan, and Taiwan and represented NZ in Track II security/economic dialogues. Alex is editor of Frontiers in Political Economy and editorial board member of international academic journals such as Political Behavior, Asian Survey, Political Science, Politics and Governance, Issues and Studies, Journal of Asian Security & International Affairs, Politicka Misao, Journal of Electoral Studies. He writes extensively in the areas of parties & elections, political economy, Taiwan and Asian politics, and international relations of the Asia-Pacific.
- Khoo N. and Tan A. (2023) The Political Case for a New Zealand-US Free Trade Agreement. The Diplomat.
- Tan A. (2023) Reading the tea leaves: Taiwan's November 2022 ‘midterm’ elections. 9DASHLINE United Kingdom: 9DashLine. [9DashLine].
- Mills K. and Tan A. (2022) American democracy: the poster child of what exactly? Stuff NZ Christchurch: Stuff.co.nz. [Stuff NZ].
- Roddis KL. and Tan AC. (2022) Diplomatie de la défense : la lutte pour le cœur du Pacifique. Outre-Terre N° 60-61(1): 369-395. http://dx.doi.org/10.3917/oute2.060.0370.
- Tan A; Young J (Ed.) (2022) Special Issue on "Falling in and falling out: Indo-Pacific in the midst of US-China tensions in the post-COVID world.". Political Science 73(1)1-84.