As of 2020, I am no longer taking on new doctoral or masters students for supervision.
Qualifications & Memberships
Prof Fickel is an experienced academic, researcher and program evaluator in the area of teacher professional development and learning (PLD), with a focus on the development of culturally responsive practice, pedagogical innovation, and enhanced student learning. In particular, her scholarship focuses on the design and implementation of innovative, research-informed models of initial teacher education and professional development, and subsequent evaluation and examination of the practice that emerges. Prof Fickel has been both lead researcher and co-researcher on a range of collaborative projects reflective of this research stance. Currently she is Principal Investigator (PI) for a Teaching & Learning Research Initiative (TLRI) project entitled, Co-constructing a culturally and linguistically sustaining, Te Tiriti -based Ako framework for socio-emotional wellbeing in education. Previously, she was the external evaluator for a multi-year PLD project funded by the Ministry of Education, was Co-PI for programme research and evaluation of the Exemplary Initial Teacher Education (ITE) Programme Initiative, and was a member of the Huakina Mai Project team. Prior to coming to UC, Prof Fickel worked in Alaska where she served as PI on four large scale, US government-funded projects focused on innovative educational programmes to expand teacher learning and practice, develop school-university collaborative models of teacher and leadership education, and implement research-informed strategies to assist schools in enhancing education outcomes for Alaska Native youth.
- Lim J., Fickel L. and Greenwood J. (2022) Mapping the landscape of professional inquiry as a form of teacher learning in New Zealand: a narrative inquiry into one teacher’s experience. Professional Development in Education 48(1): 120-133. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19415257.2019.1689526.
- Jones K-L., Fickel L., King J., Torepe T., Fletcher J. and Macfarlane S. (2021) Teachers and stakeholders’ perceptions about Māori partial immersion environments contribution to Kaupapa Māori (Māori medium) education. Set: Research information for teachers (1): 3-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.18296/set.1.2021.
- Lim J., Fickel L. and Greenwood J. (2021) Meaningful teacher accountability through professional inquiry: A narrative interpretation of one teacher’s experience. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1359866X.2021.1914319.
- Zeng W. and Fickel L. (2021) Exploring collective identity of a group of teaching-oriented academics amid research discourse: a Chinese case. Higher Education 82(3): 651-668. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10734-021-00728-1.
- Fletcher J., Everatt J., Mackey J. and Fickel LH. (2020) Digital Technologies and Innovative Learning Environments in Schooling: A New Zealand Experience. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies 2020(55): 91-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40841-020-00156-2.