Preparing for Emergencies

If you require urgent assistance call extension 92111, or 0800 823 637

Support Services has information on Emergency Preparedness

All departments and service units have an Emergency Procedures flip chart outlining what to do in various types of emergencies. The flip charts are on display throughout the University. If you have not seen the flip charts, ask to see them. All building occupants should be familiar with the emergency escape routes and the assembly areas. These are usually displayed next to the emergency procedure flipchart. 

The Health and Safety Team provide information and support on trial building evacuations and supporting floor and building wardens

Being the first responder to an event means having access to first aid supplies and knowledge of first-aid procedures, or quickly getting hold of someone who is a first-aider. Further details on University of Canterbury’s responsibilities and resourcing of first-aid can be found in the Protocol: Workplace First Aid

For information on First Aid Training see the Health and Safety Training page

Note: Information on Covid-19 (Coronavirus) here. 


Building and Floor Wardens take responsibility for ensuring that in the event of an emergency evacuation, that the building is cleared. The Health and Safety Team maintain a list of Building and Floor Wardens. It may be that the nature off occupancy means that the first person to the armband is the person who then takes responsibility for clearing the floor.

Floor and Building Wardens will know their responsibilities. These are set out:

People with a wide range of disabilities can be potentially at risk in emergencies. People with sight or hearing problems or hidden disabilities such as epilepsy or asthma, as well as people with obvious mobility disabilities, need to take proper precautions. The Protocol: Evacuation of People with Disabilities sets out guidelines.

The Building Warden should keep a Building Assistance Register identifying persons needing assistance. The collection of information for this purpose needs to be done in a respectful way, consistent with the Privacy Act 2000 and Health Information Privacy Code 2020 and with the consent of the person involved using the Consent for the Collection & Release of Information for Building Assistance Register

Trial evacuations provide an opportunity to practice evacuation procedures under normal operating conditions and identify any areas of concern.

Floor and Building Wardens will know their responsibilities. These are set out:

The evacuations are scheduled by the Compliance Manager in association with the Health and Safety Team, the Building Wardens, the Heads of Departments, and College Managers. Trials are evaluated to ensure that any problems encountered are rectified. The Trial Evacuation Report should be completed and sent to the Compliance Officer.

The University has a number of these devices across facilities. You do not need to be trained to use a defibrillator as each unit provides audible instruction. The location of defibrillators are marked on campus maps.  

Each work area needs to have someone responsible for monitoring the contents of the first-aid kit.

The Workplace First Aid Needs Assessment can be completed to determine what is required in the kit. The requirements can vary depending on the number of people and the types of hazards that may be present.

The First-Aid Contents Checklist can be used to check against what is available when checking on what is in the kit, however most kits will contain a list of what is supplied.

First-aid kits and contents should be purchased from preferred suppliers via Unimarket

The University of Canterbury provides Epipen Kits for use on field activities should there be a medical emergency involving a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis). Field activities are often conducted in areas remote from emergency services. Having access to an Epipen enables the person suffering from a severe allergic reaction to receive immediate treatment before emergency services can arrive.

The Protocol: Epipen Kit can be referred to for more information.

If you require an Epipen Kit please contact the Health Centre

All exempt laboratories, regardless of quantities of hazardous substances held, will have a Local Emergency Response Plan.

Outside of exempt laboratories, the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 sets out threshold quantities of hazardous substances that require an emergency response plan.  


Can't find it? Try the Health and Safety A-Z