Academic Development supports individual lecturers and teaching teams in their teaching design and delivery through teaching consultations. Examples of consultation topics have included, among many others:
- Formulating learning outcomes for a course or lecture
- Aligning assessments to learning outcomes
- Different ways of assessing students
- Implementing aspects of the graduate profile in courses
- Teaching techniques
- Improving student engagement in class
- Designing effective in-class activities
- Planning for professional development in teaching
- Doing research on teaching and learning
Academic Development is also available to do teaching observations and provide you with independent and constructive feedback on your teaching. In most cases, colleagues opt to be observed several times so that a holistic picture of their teaching can be constructed, and any changes they wish to make in their teaching can be properly evaluated.
All consultations and observations are in principle treated as confidential, and no information or reports will be shared with others without your permission.
Academic Development works closely with colleagues in other units in supporting teaching staff, in particular the Kaiārahi Māori in the Office of the AVC- Māori and the Flexible Learning Advisors in in E-Learning Support. The Kaiārahi Māori are available to provide support for the implementation of the Biculturally Competence and Confidence graduate attribute, and are experts in culturally responsive pedagogy.The Flexible Learning Advisors are available to assist with matters related to Learn, e-learning design, and online delivery and pedagogy
For all enquiries
get in touch with our staff