Essential web writing skills (Content 1)
Note:This is suited to anyone in your department assigned to write or edit content for your website. Suitable for PD&R.
The Web is not a book and people rarely read Web pages word by word. Learn how people read web pages and how to write and organise content that is useful, usable and gets your information across effectively.
What you'll learn and achieve on your department website
- Know your audience and what their goals are
- Develop skills and knowledge to confidently edit and maintain website content
- Make content on key pages user focused and well organised
PD&R commitment from you and your department
- Time and place: Training option and guidelines are online and can be done any time, any place. Editing and writing content can be done anywhere in a programme such as Word. Updates to your website are done by the web maintainer from their computer. Allocate blocks of time as suits
- Duration: Learning: Indepth HR sponsored training of 10 short online. Learning: 1 - 2 hours per course (10 - 20 hours over 3 months). Apply to site: 5 - 20 hours (depends on many pages/areas of content are improved).
Less comprehensive option using guidelines. Learning: 1 hour. Applying to site: 5 - 10 hours.
Resources to help you
Recommended training option
- Writing for the Web (staff only) - Sign up to the online Diploma in Web Content. Learn to write content that is usable, findable, scannable, accessible, readable, and useful. External training with no department contribution if completed within 3 months.
- Guidelines for editing and writing web content - Less comprehensive but even applying 1 or 2 guidelines will improve content. Includes links to tips to help you write concise content and get your reader's attention.
Content requirements for academic and service unit websites
- Academic websites compulsory content - Requirements for compulsory pages in academic sites
- Academic websites optional content - Requirements for optional pages in academic sites
- Service unit websites compulsory content - Requirements for compulsory pages in service unit sites
- Service unit websites optional content - Requirements for optional pages in service unit sites