Using the Indoor rockclimbing wall at the UC RecCentre is free for members. All climbers intending to climb above the bouldering line must register with us.
Routes are reset regularly by the UC Climbing Club, who also run ‘have a go’ sessions and regular club nights. Our wall is very popular and has some exciting and challenging features for avid climbers as well as beginner routes.
Our climbing wall features a variety of challenges with a realistic climbing experience, including:
- A slab
- Two overhangs
- An abseil platform
- Curved overhanging 'cave' section
- Rockcote surface
- Cracks and features
- Conventional holds
- Please wear suitable shoes at all times (no street shoes or bare feet).
- Shirts to be worn at all times.
- If rope climbing above bouldering line, please ensure you are on our climbing register.
Failure to adhere to these rules may result in you being asked to leave the centre immediately with no refund and/or cancellation of membership.
- It is a Health & Safety requirement for all roped climbers to be on the Climbing Register.
- It’s free to register, simply download an Application to Register for Climbing Wall or collect one from Reception, fill it in, and bring it with you to the next available climbing night (Tuesday and Thursday nights, 6.00pm to 10.00pm during term time). If you cannot make it at those times please email Francis Main
- You will then be tested on your skill and knowledge of climbing. Once you have been added to the register, you will not need to do so again. Come and climb whenever you want to.
Learn to climb with the UC Climbing Club or meet other climbers on climbing club nights. Opportunities abound to head off on climbing road trips beyond our walls.
- Regular climbing nights are on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the UC RecCentre Climbing wall. Suitable for anyone from beginner through advanced, it’s a great opportunity to meet like minded people.
Learn to climb
- Contact the UC Climbing Club for Learn to Climb opportunities. These include, but may not be limited to, climbing club nights.
Charges to use climbing wall and equipment hire
- Use of the climbing wall is free for members. Charges apply for non-members.
- UC RecCentre does not hire climbing equipment. You will need to provide your own or attend UC Climbing Club nights.
Charges to use the climbing wall
- Members can use the climbing wall for free.
- Non-members can pay $11.00 casual entry fee.
- Climbing club members can use the wall for free on designated club nights only Tuesday and Thursday nights 6-10pm during term time only. The climbing club provide free equipment for these nights.