For great value gym membership you can't beat the UC RecCentre.
Our gym comes alive when the students return and the place is buzzing. Whether it's for our amazing group fitness classes, our party spin room, squash courts or just the vitality of our members - come down and join us!
Membership prices and procedures
All UC students issued with a UC Student ID card are eligible for free membership for the year. Register once, then each year simply go online to sign up for the new academic year, and accept the terms and conditions. Register online
UC Staff who are also UC students are eligible for free membership if you have paid the student levy. Those who have paid fees and levy by staff waiver are NOT eligible for free membership.
Your UC student card becomes your membership card and you must present this every visit to gain access.
UC staff (including UCSA staff) receive a discounted membership fee and can pay by payroll deduction. Staff who are also UC students and have paid the student levy are eligible for free membership unless they have paid by staff waiver.
We also offer a few staff-only activities free or low cost that don't require a UC RecCentre membership. Simply register online with your UC username and password.
Try us for free
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or for a free 7-day pass including one complimentary spin class. Terms and conditions apply.*
2017 membership rates
|12 months||6 months||3 months|
|UC staff (including UCSA staff)*||$329||$189||$119|
|UC staff (TEU and PSA members)**||$229||$139||$94|
|Fortnightly payroll deduction||$20|
*You must obtain a UC Staff Card, ask your manager for details. This becomes your membership card. Salary deduction option valid for staff on fixed term or continuing contracts only.
** A letter from your Union confirming your current membership must also be provided within 2 weeks of joining, or full rate will apply.
UC staff payroll deduction - terms and conditions
- Register today, start today, and start paying at your next salary payment.
- Minimum membership term of three months.
- Cancel any time after three months at no cost. Your membership and deductions will continue until you email us to request cancellation.
- Early cancellation fee of $25 will apply if cancelling within 3 months.
- If you leave the employ of UC, this membership will cease. Talk to us about other options.
- Standard membership conditions apply, as stated on membership application.
|Non-UC students||12 months||6 months||3 months||1 month|
Thinking of enrolling at UC or already studying elsewhere? Anyone over the age of 16 can be a member. To register, bring photo ID to Reception with your proof of age.
Contact email@example.com for a free 7-day pass.
|Affiliates and alumni||12 months||6 months||3 months||Fortnightly|
Those eligible for the affiliates/alumni rates include graduates of the University of Canterbury and the former Christchurch College of Education. Simply come and see our reception team at the RecCentre with a photo ID, fill out the required forms and pay. We have EFTPOS and Credit Card facilities.
For more information, call +64 3 364 2433 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Community||12 months||6 months||3 months||Monthly|
Anyone over the age of 16 can be a member. Simply bring photo ID to Reception with your proof of age.
|10 visit concession entry card||$99.00||10 visit card|
|Access to facilities (includes Group Fitness classes except Spin)||$11.00||per visit|
|Spin (additional to membership of casual entry fee)||$3.00||per class|
|Spin - 10 class concession card||$27.00||10 class card|
|Squash (additional to membership or casual entry fee)||$2.00||per person, per 1/2 hour|
|Squash 10 x 30 min booking concession card (additional to membership or casual entry fee)||$30.00||per card|
|Badminton (additional to membership or casual entry fee)||$10.00||per court, per hour|
|Ball/Towel concession card||$14.00||32x 50c hire value|
Want to try us out before you commit to a membership? We understand! We can give you a 7-day guest pass to experience what it's like to be a UC RecCentre member.
How to get your 7-day guest pass
- Email us with your contact details
- UC Staff: name, department, staff ID number, and internal mailing address
- Others: name, mailing address and contact phone number
- Please allow 2 working days for this to be processed
Terms and conditions
- One pass per person
- Not available to current UC RecCentre members, or if you have terminated your membership in the last 12 months, or if you have had a guest pass or membership in the past 12 months.
- Pass is not exchangeable for cash and is void if on-sold
- Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or special pricing discount
- UC RecCentre reserves the right to refuse entry to any individual, at any time, for any reason
- Pass includes 1x complimentary spin class, fees apply for additional classes
- Must be used in 7 consecutive days
- UC Staff will have their Staff Card activated for 1 week, and must use this to gain entry every visit.
- Others - pass must be presented prior to entry on every occasion to gain access with photo ID
- Unlimited access to all group fitness classes, excluding spin
- Spin only $3 per class, or purchase a 10 class concession card for $27
- Unlimited access to all training areas for cardio, weights, boxing, and stretching
- A free StartMe programme (standardised)
- Access to free TeachMe gym intro sessions
- Access to SteerMe and PushMe - low cost personalised programmes and personal training
- Free daily locker hire (limited permanent lockers available for hire).
See our Terms and conditions.
All members MUST bring their student/staff ID card or RecCentre membership card EVERY visit.
If you don't bring your card you will be delayed while we confirm your membership (and enrolment for students) is current. This can take up to five minutes. We will only do this twice in any semester. After that, you'll be asked to pay $11 casual entry, but we'll refund you if you present your membership card to us within 7 days.
Need more information about
our prices and entry criteria?