Student ID card

What your Canterbury Card is for

Your student ID card, more commonly known at UC as your Canterbury Card, is your formal identification for around campus. It is available after you have fully enrolled and is valid for 5 years.

You should always carry your Canterbury Card with you whenever you are on campus.

Your Canterbury Card is used for:

  • Student Association membership
  • Access to the Recreation Centre
  • Access to Libraries and library resources
  • Access to other authorised University buildings
  • After-hours access to the campus and computer workrooms
  • As a debit card for internet, email, printing, photocopying, library charges and phone calls
  • Proving your identity when collecting University documents
  • Proving your identity at examinations

You can also use your card to claim student prices or discounts with many businesses around Christchurch and New Zealand.

Obtaining your card

Step 1.

You will need to officially accept your enrolment offer before being eligible to collect your Canterbury Card.

Step 2.

Go to the Security Office, Security Office, 114 Ilam Road.

Opening hours 24 hours, 7 days a week.

You need to bring with you one of the following:

  • Your previous student ID
  • Your driver's licence
  • Your passport
  • A passport photograph certified by a Justice of the Peace, school principal or solicitor, with "certified as a true and correct likeness of [your full name]". It must also include the date, signature and designation, along with the authoriser’s official stamp if available.

Distance or regional campus students

If you are a distance or regional campus student and unable to come to the Card Office, you must supply a certified passport photo via post and a four digit pin. Photos can not be sent electronically.

If you are a STAR student studying by distance, you do not require a Canterbury Card.

Add credit to your student ID card

You cannot access printing and other charged services when you do not have any credit on your account. 

You can add credit to your student ID card or check your balance online with myUC or in person at the EFTPOS reload stations.

Lost, stolen and faulty cards

To replace and cancel a Canterbury Card, visit the Security Office. Replacement cards cost $20.

Faulty cards, and those with fair wear and tear, will be replaced free of charge. 

More information

Find out more information about your Canterbury Card from Campus Services.