Postgraduate Certificate in Information Systems and Technology*
The Postgraduate Certificate in Information Systems and Technology (PGCertIST) is a short advanced qualification in Information Systems consisting of taught courses. Graduates will be able to synthesise and analyse theory, research and practice in Information Systems and Technology and be able to reflect critically on contemporary issues.
- Set yourself apart with a specialist certificate and get ahead in your IS career.
- There is a significant shortage in high level ICT skills, so this programme will help UC graduates meet the demand in the marketplace, as more employers seek to engage more IT-savvy employees.
- This programme will be taught by the UC Business School staff, and professional, qualified contributors from the local business community (including academic staff and professionals with competencies in Māori and Indigenous development-related IS topics).
- UC is ranked in the top 200 for Computer Science and Information Systems (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2017).
* Subject to Universities New Zealand CUAP approval, due December 2017.
Postgraduate certificates and diplomas require a relevant bachelor's degree. If you gained your qualifications overseas, these will need to be assessed to ensure they are of an equivalent standard.
You are also required to meet UC's English language requirements.
Specific entry requirements
A student wishing to study the PGCertIST is required to have completed a bachelor’s degree (eg, a BCom) with a grade average of B or better in 300-level Information Systems or other related courses, or have a related qualification.
For the full entry requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Information Systems and Technology or use the admission requirements checker.
How to apply
You can apply online at myUC. Find out more about how to apply for graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
The PGCertIST requires 60 points of INFO/MBIS/COSC 400 and 600-level courses. At least 30 points must be INFO courses and no more than 30 points can be MBIS/COSC courses.
With the approval of the Dean of Business, a student may replace up to 30 points of courses from the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Information Systems and Technology with courses prescribed for another subject at an equivalent level.
The PGCertIST can also be taken part-time over a maximum of 24 months.
Courses can be drawn from a range of subjects, including Information Systems, Business Information Systems and Computer Science:
- A minimum of 30 points selected from INFO courses
- No more than 30 points from MBIS601-699 and COSC480.
For full requirements, see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Information Systems and Technology.
The PGCertIST can be a stepping stone to a research degree in Information Systems, eg, an honours or master’s degree, or a Postgraduate Diploma in Information Systems and Technology.
Increasingly, postgraduate diplomas are becoming more recognisable in the international market and ICT-specific skills are critical to the growth and development of many business sectors in New Zealand. Graduates will be able to demonstrate the ability to acquire and utilise new knowledge related to information systems and technology, and apply it in an innovative and enterprising way. There is also evidence of a growing demand for biculturally competent and workready IS graduates, who are able to apply cultural concepts and theories to organisational situations.
- Read what other UC postgraduate students have gone on to achieve in their studies and careers in our student and graduate profiles.
- Our Careers, Internships & Employment team can help you to achieve the career you want, connect with employers or find a job.
- For research into career destinations by qualification, visit the Universities New Zealand website.
- Find out more about what you can do with a degree from UC.
- Come along to an upcoming information event for prospective postgraduate students.
For full requirements see the Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Information Systems and Technology.
For study planning help, contact the UC Business School or the College of Business and Law:
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Phone+64 3 369 3888