Pacific Development Team (PDT) Mentor
Pacific Development Team Mentors provide one-to-one peer support or group mentoring to Pacific students in their first year of study at UC, offering direction, encouragement, motivation and friendship through weekly contact and monthly meetings.
Pacific Development Team Mentors in the Generate programme draw on their knowledge of Pasifika values to plan and deliver a programme that promotes UC in secondary schools.
Pacific Development Team Mentors also help run PDT social programmes, such as Jandals and Get FRESH.
Pacific Development Team Mentors are advancing UC Pacific students with experience and understanding of university life and Pasifika values and culture.
Pacific Development Team Mentors attend an initial training session and regular debrief sessions with a Pacific Advisor.
Hours involved in the activity
Every 12 hours of participation in an activity is equal to one intersection point (12 hours = 1 intersection point).
For this activity you can claim a maximum of 1 learning and development outcome.
Work readiness skill/Graduate attribute
By actively engaging in this activity, you can claim against the pre-determined intersection points detailed below. You should reflect on your experience and select the WRS/GA intersection point(s) that best represents your learning outcome.
- B1 - Communication - Pacific Development Team Mentors offer a welcoming and supportive environment to new students at UC and contact them regularly. They understand UC’s structure and procedures, and explain these clearly and accurately. Pacific Development Team Mentors in the Generate programme promote UC in secondary schools by designing a programme that engages Pacific students. They adapt their communication to suit the values and needs of a Pacific audience.
- B2 - Initiative and Enterprise - Pacific Development Team Mentors find ways for new Pacific students to be involved with and connected to the UC community. They draw on their own experiences to support new students. Pacific Development Team Mentors in the Generate programme adapt their information to suit their audience, and in response to the available resources at different schools.
- B5 - Planning and organising - Pacific Development Team Mentors make weekly contact with their mentee student and meet them at least once a month.
- B4 - Self-management - Pacific Development Team Mentors at UC and in the Generate programme are professional in their interactions with staff and students, and provide a positive experience for students.
- B4 - Teamwork - Pacific Development Team Mentors work together to meet the needs of mentees and organise regular group activities. Pacific Development Team Mentors in the Generate programme work together to deliver their programme and find innovative solutions to meet the needs of diverse audiences and school environments.
- C1 - Communication - Pacific Development Team Mentors at UC and in the Generate programme communicate professionally, and in ways that meets both the needs of their mentee student and UC expectations.
- C4 - Learning - Pacific Development Team Mentors attend an initial training session. They reflect on their skill sets, identify aspects for enhancement, and engage in appropriate development. They reflect on the Pasifika learnings their involvement has developed.
- C6 - Problem-solving - Pacific Development Team Mentors in the Generate programme identify issues with the delivery of their planned programme and the innovative steps they took to solve these. They adapt their planning in response to their audience and environment as required.
- D1 - Communication - Pacific Development Team Mentors at UC and in the Generate programme communicate effectively with Pasifika students and develop awareness and understanding of the values and needs of Pasifika audiences.
- D4 - Learning - Pacific Development Team Mentors reflect on their communication style and adjust it to suit their mentee and the PDT mentoring programme. They provide evidence of the Pasifika learnings they have gained through their involvement in the programme.
- D5 - Planning and organising - Pacific Development Team Mentors adapt their planning and delivery to meet the needs of their Pasifika mentee.
- D6 - Problem solving - Pacific Development Team Mentors in the Generate programme solve problems that arise in their programme delivery in ways that are appropriate to Pasifika audience and use Pasifika values.
- D8 - Teamwork - Pacific Development Team Mentors in the Generate programme work as a team to ensure Pasifika values underpin the delivery of the programme.
|Co-curricular Record (CCR)||
UC Graduate Attributes (GAs)
|Bicultural Competence & Confidence||Community Engagement||Employability Innovation & Enterprise||Global Awareness|
|Work Readiness Skills (WRS)||Communication||A1||B1||C1||D1|
|Initiative and enterprise||A2||B2||C2||D2|
|Planning and organising||A5||B5||C5||D5|
- UC affiliated
- Not an academic prerequisite
- Not for academic credit