I am working in the area of Artificial Intelligence in Education (AIED). This means that I am interested in AI, Education (especially teaching strategies), Psychology (particularly to do with learning and behaviour), and of course Computer Science & Software Engineering.
Our research group focuses on building intelligent and adaptive educational systems – systems that allow the student to explore and learn while receiving customised guidance. These systems are intelligent enough to
* know about a particular domain semantically and syntactically (domain modelling),
* know and reason about each student (student modelling) using their current knowledge on each of the
domain concepts and the history of their performance in the system,
* provide adaptive (customised) guidance to each student,
* allow the student to see a visualisation of their student model, and
* optionally allow the student to negotiate their student model (argue for a change in their student model).
A change in their student model would lead to different adaptations.