Research Group Summary
MERC serves as the national hub for the coordination of and contribution to research in music education and sound arts. Through its activities the Centre will increase understanding and knowledge of the musical arts in education and in the wider community. MERC is devoted to developing the national and international profile of music education in Aotearoa New Zealand through its activities, partnerships and collaborations.
The overall aim of MERC is to provide a national focus for music education research at tertiary level. MERC serves to:
- be recognised as the hub of networks for music educators involved in research in New Zealand
- facilitate and establish networks between researchers, groups and institutions
- act as a home for current and recently completed research and data collection in New Zealand and be a place where new initiatives can be planned and logged
- help institutions and individuals identify and refine research projects
- feed information to relevant music education bodies and make results available as widely as possible
- gather research information and data from overseas relevant to the situation in this country
- share information online for national and international audiences.