Qualifications & Memberships
My main research interests are the electronic structure and transition intensities of visible and UV transitions within 4fN configurations and between the 4fN and 4fN-1 5d configurations of lanthanide (‘rare earth') ions in various compounds. These materials have complex spectra with sharp lines and so an extremely detailed comparison between theory and experiment is possible.In addition to their intrinsic scientific interest, lanthanide compounds have technological applications, being widely used in fluorescent lamp and TV phosphors, laser materials, and fibre-optical amplifiers. New phosphors are under development that are pumped by higher-frequency VUV xenon excitation, rather than the UV mercury excitation of current lamps.Thus, while our research is largely driven by the interesting problems involved in interpreting complex spectra, we hope that some of our results will be applicable to technological advances. In fact, several applied spectroscopy groups around the world use our computer software to analyse their spectra.
- Horvath SP., Wells J-PR., van der Meer AFG. and Reid MF. (2017) An infrared pump-probe measurement of the Sm3+6H
7/2lifetime in LiYF 4. Optical Materials 66 C: 8-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.optmat.2017.01.026.
- Hughes-Currie RB., Ivanovskikh KV., Wells J-PR., Reid MF., Gordon RA., Seijo L. and Barandiarán Z. (2017) X-ray Excitation Triggers Ytterbium Anomalous Emission in CaF
2:Yb but Not in SrF 2:Yb. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 8(6): 1175-1178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b00262.
- Hughes-Currie RB., Ivanovskikh KV., Reid MF., Wells JPR., Reeves RJ. and Meijerink A. (2016) Vacuum ultraviolet synchrotron measurements of excitons in NaMgF3:Yb2+. Journal of Luminescence 169: 419-421. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2015.03.023.
- Hughes-Currie RB., Ivanovskikh KV., Wells J-PR., Reid MF. and Gordon RA. (2016) The determination of dopant ion valence distributions in insulating crystals using XANES measurements. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 28(13): 135502. http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0953-8984/28/13/135502.
- Ivanovskikh KV., Hughes-Currie RB., Reid MF., Wells JPR., Sokolov NS. and Reeves RJ. (2016) Synchrotron spectroscopy of confined carriers in CdF2-CaF2 superlattices. Journal of Applied Physics 119(10) http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4943498.