Stable isotope geochemistry and biogeochemistry, interactions among the different spheres of the earth system, and relationships among tectonic, topographic, and climatic processes and conditions. Source and transport of fluids in active orogens and volcanic centers. Geochemical and biogeochemical proxies for climate change in the southern hemisphere on a variety of spatial and temporal scales. Geochemical tracing and quality assessment of water resources. Biogeochemical evaluation of foodweb structure including nutrient and trace element transport paths in exotic ecosystems. Paleotopographic investigation of mountain belts and plateaus.
- Cox TL., Oze C. and Horton TW. (2017) Iron concretions within a highly altered unit of the Berlins Porphyry, New Zealand: an abiotic or biotic story? Mineralogy and Petrology 111(2): 173-181. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00710-016-0469-8.
- Hawke DJ., Cranney OR., Horton TW., Bury SJ., Brown JCS. and Holdaway RN. (2017) Foliar and soil N and δ15N as restoration metrics at Pūtaringamotu Riccarton Bush, Christchurch city. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand : 1-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03036758.2017.1281319.
- Andrews MG., Jacobson AD., Lehn GO., Horton TW. and Craw D. (2016) Radiogenic and stable Sr isotope ratios (87Sr/86Sr, δ88/86Sr) as tracers of riverine cation sources and biogeochemical cycling in the Milford Sound region of Fiordland, New Zealand. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 173: 284-303. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2015.10.005.
- Horton T., Defliese W., Tripati A. and Oze C. (2016) Evaporation induced 18O and 13C enrichment in lake systems: A global perspective on hydrologic balance effects.
- Lorrey AM., Brookman TH., Evans MN., Fauchereau NC., Macinnis-Ng C., Barbour MM., Criscitiello A., Eischeid G., Fowler AM. and Horton TW. (2016) Stable oxygen isotope signatures of early season wood in New Zealand kauri (Agathis australis) tree rings: Prospects for palaeoclimate reconstruction. Dendrochronologia 40 C: 50-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dendro.2016.03.012.