Qualifications & Memberships
Our research interests touch upon all aspects of supramolecular chemistry ranging from organic synthesis and coordination chemistry, through materials and structural chemistry, to host-guest and sensor chemistry. This work is underpinned by structural analysis by single-crystal X-ray diffraction which is complimented by a range of spectroscopic techniques.Our research into coordination polymers and porous metal-organic frameworks involves transition and lanthanide metal ions and poly-carboxylate-poly-pyridine ligands. We are also interested in the coordination chemistry of clusters as structural and functional bio-models and their potential to behave as single molecule magnets. Our work in Supramolecular Chemistry ranges from anion coordination chemistry and sensing, involving the development of naked-eye sensors for anions in aqueous media; to the supramolecular coordination chemistry of helical complexes, incorporating metallo- helicate synthesis and anion directed synthesis of helical species. Recent work looks to marry Fe(II)-based spin-crossover (SCO) phenomena into helicate systems in an attempt to form sensor molecules who output derives from SCO associated colour changes.
- Phonsri W., Davies CG., Jameson GNL., Moubaraki B., Ward JS., Kruger PE., Chastanet G. and Murray KS. (2017) Symmetry breaking above room temperature in an Fe(II) spin crossover complex with an N
4O 2donor set. Chemical Communications 53(8): 1374-1377. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c6cc10040f.
- Phonsri W., Macedo DS., Vignesh KR., Rajaraman G., Davies CG., Jameson GNL., Moubaraki B., Ward JS., Kruger PE. and Chastanet G. (2017) Halogen Substitution Effects on N
2O Schiff Base Ligands in Unprecedented Abrupt FeII Spin Crossover Complexes. Chemistry - A European Journal http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201700232.
- Gholami G., Zhu K., Ward JS., Kruger PE. and Loeb SJ. (2016) Formation of a Polythreaded, Metal-Organic Framework Utilizing an Interlocked Hexadentate, Carboxylate Linker. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry (27): 4524-4529. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ejic.201600311.
- Yang H., Bradley SJ., Chan A., Waterhouse GIN., Nann T., Kruger PE. and Telfer SG. (2016) Catalytically Active Bimetallic Nanoparticles Supported on Porous Carbon Capsules Derived From Metal-Organic Framework Composites. Journal of the American Chemical Society 138(36): 11872-11881. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.6b06736.
- Bryant MR., Burrows AD., Fitchett CM., Hawes CS., Hunter SO., Keenan LL., Kelly DJ., Kruger PE., Mahon MF. and Richardson C. (2015) The synthesis and characterisation of coordination and hydrogen-bonded networks based on 4-(3,5-dimethyl-1H-pyrazol-4-yl)benzoic acid. Dalton Transactions 44(19): 9269-9280. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c5dt00011d.