Science Communication - Teach and support students and staff in editing, design and print for posters, presentations and publications.Outreach - Manage, develop and present a range of Biology outreach modules to primary and secondary schools.Scientific Photography - Studio and location photos for thesis, posters, presentations and publication.Design of Technical Figures - Extensive experience designing figures for scientific publications to effectively communicate complex scientific information within the constraints of journal guidelines.
- Oppong A., Offei SK., Ofori K., Adu-Dapaah H., Lamptey JNL., Kurenbach B., Walters M., Shepherd DN., Martin DP. and Varsani A. (2014) Mapping the distribution of maize streak virus genotypes across the forest and transition zones of Ghana. Archives of Virology 160(2): 483-492. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00705-014-2260-7.
- Julian L., Piasecki T., Chrzastek K., Walters M., Muhire B., Harkins GW., Martin DP. and Varsani A. (2013) Extensive recombination detected among beak and feather disease virus isolates from breeding facilities in Poland. Journal of General Virology 94(PART 5): 1086-1095. http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.050179-0.
- Julian L., Lorenzo A., Chenuet JP., Bonzon M., Marchal C., Vignon L., Collings DA., Walters M., Jackson B. and Varsani A. (2012) Evidence of multiple introductions of beak and feather disease virus into the Pacific islands of Nouvelle-Calédonie (New Caledonia). Journal of General Virology 93(PART 11): 2466-2472. http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.045575-0.
- Kraberger S., Thomas JE., Geering ADW., Dayaram A., Stainton D., Hadfield J., Walters M., Parmenter KS., van Brunschot S. and Collings DA. (2012) Australian monocot-infecting mastrevirus diversity rivals that in Africa. Virus Research 169(1): 127-136. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2012.07.018.
- Massaro M., Ortiz-Catedral L., Julian L., Galbraith JA., Kurenbach B., Kearvell J., Kemp J., van Hal J., Elkington S. and Taylor G. (2012) Molecular characterisation of beak and feather disease virus (BFDV) in New Zealand and its implications for managing an infectious disease. Archives of Virology 157(9): 1651-1663. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00705-012-1336-5.
- Science Communication - Teach and support students and staff in editing, design and print for posters, presentations and publications. Effective Poster Design, Communication Design: Graphics and Figures.
- Outreach - Manage, develop and present a range of Biology outreach modules to primary and secondary schools. Including Gel Electrophoresis Laboratory module. Coordinate school visits and student tours.
- Scientific Photography - Studio and location photos for thesis, posters, presentations and publication.
- Information Design - the translation of complex, unorganised, or unstructured data into valuable, meaningful information.
- Design of Technical Figures - Extensive experience designing figures for scientific publications to effectively communicate complex scientific information within the constraints of journal guidelines.
- Training and troubleshooting for graphics software - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, Acrobat, Dreamweaver.
- Web - maintain and develop content on the Biological Sciences websites.
Recent Communications Outputs
- Plant photography guide Which parts of the plant should I photograph. Now also available in Spanish Which parts of the plant should I photograph - Spanish.
- Botanical photography and taxonomy to produce An illustrated checklist of the flora of Ngel Nyaki Forest Reserve, Nigeria
- Photography and figure design for a research paper on Human-Assisted Spread of a Maladaptive Behaviour in a Critically Endangered Bird. Featured on Phenomena - A science salon - National Geographic
- Design, photography and editing of Biomolecular Interaction Centre BIC Annual Report 2013
- Design and publication of A Photographic Guidebook to the Freshwater Invertebrates of the Mambilla Plateau
- Blog written during visit research visit to a Nigerian Forest - www.projectREPORT.info
- Virtual field trip to ancient New Zealand. School outreach project on the Black Robin
Recent Conference Poster Designs
- A beginner’s guide to successfully communicating your science, July 2017, invited workshops at New Zealand Marine Sciences Society conference.
- Barriers to communication workshop, April 2017, invited workshop to Disastrous Doctorates conference.
- Communication Design workshop, Annually in Feb and July 2012-2017, postgraduate students of Biology and Chemistry, UC.
- Biology 474 Conservation Genetics, May 2016, co-presented two 3-hour seminars on species conservation, focus on communicating science.
- Twitter 101 - May 2016, Science Communicators' Association of New Zealand workshop (co-presenter)
- Communication Design Workshop - Conference Posters - May 2016, Waterways Centre for Freshwater Management postgraduate students
- Botanical Photography Seminar and Workshop, Annually 2009-2016, Biology 305 Practical Field Botany course.
- Poster Design Seminar, annually in November 2013-2015, He Puna Putaiao programme, Science Outreach, UC
- Communication Design - Effective Graphics - Nov 2015, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand National Conference
- 252 Black Robins, One Island, Many Stories - May 2015, A trilogy of stories presented to the Christchurch Bird Club
- Figure it Out, Workshop on designing technical figures - March 2015, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand, Christchurch
- Mastering MailChimp Workshop, Sept 2014, International Association of Business Communicators, South Island Branch
- Insect Photography Workshop, Sept 2014, Sept 2012, Biology 211 Invertebrate Biology class
- Adventures in Science Communication, August 2014, Ecopathways seminar series at Lincoln University
- Communication Design - Workshop on Conference Posters, Mar 2014, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand conference. Additional notes: Effective Poster Design
- Presentation Design Seminar, Sept 2013, Biological Sciences Postgraduate students
- Adventures in Science Communication, July 2013, Joint event by the International Association of Business Communicators (South Island) and The Science Communicators Association of New Zealand
- Introduction to Botanical Photography, Oct 2012, Christchurch Botanical Society
- A Trip to Ancient New Zealand, July 2010, Canterbury Science Teachers Association
- Rangatira Island Life, July 2009, Christchurch Bird Club
- British Science Association Science Communication Conference, Manchester, 2015
- Science Communicators Association of New Zealand (SCANZ) Annual Conferences 2004-2016
- Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Conference, Capetown 2002