My research interests sit at the nexus of freshwater, ecosystem and restoration ecology. I am a Postdoctoral Research Fellow on the Canterbury Waterway Rehabilitation Experiment (CAREX), a project funded by the Mackenzie Charitable Foundation, and the Freshwater Ecology Research Group in the School of Biological Sciences. We are undertaking research that seeks to address freshwater health issues in agricultural waterways, and are generating robust science to underpin restoration and management decisions. I am also interested in broader questions around the what drives variability in freshwater ecosystems. I use temporary streams, microbial communities and nutrient dynamics in human-impacted systems to explore interactions between ecosystem structure and function. I also work towards linking science with policy and am a Young Fellow on the UN Intergovernmental Science-Policy Panel on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES).
- Goeller BC., Febria CM., Harding JS. and McIntosh AR. (2016) Thinking beyond the bioreactor box: Incorporating stream ecology into edge-of-field nitrate management. Journal of Environmental Quality 45(3): 866-872. http://dx.doi.org/10.2134/jeq2015.06.0325.
- Saunders MI., Brown CJ., Foley MM., Febria CM., Albright R., Mehling MG., Kavanaugh MT. and Burfeind DD. (2016) Human impacts on connectivity in marine and freshwater ecosystems assessed using graph theory: A review. Marine and Freshwater Research 67(3): 277-290. http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/MF14358.
- Febria CM., Hosen JD., Crump BC., Palmer MA. and Williams DD. (2015) Microbial responses to changes in flow status in temporary headwater streams: a cross-system comparison. Frontiers in Microbiology 6 522: 18pp. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2015.00522.
- Febria CM., Koch BJ. and Palmer MA. (2015) Operationalizing an ecosystem services-based approach for managing river biodiversity. Water Ecosystem Services: A Global Perspective: 26-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781316178904.005.
- Koch BJ., Febria CM., Cooke RM., Hosen JD., Baker ME., Colson AR., Filoso S., Hayhoe K., Loperfido JV. and Stoner AMK. (2015) Suburban watershed nitrogen retention: Estimating the effectiveness of stormwater management structures. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene 3: 18pp. http://dx.doi.org/10.12952/journal.elementa.000063.